Sinister: CHU move to the country, she comes back a KEN

Rachel fruitloop-Apps blind_lisa at xxx.com
Wed Aug 4 14:34:16 BST 2004

Hello Sinister!

On a rooftop in Lewisham, months ago, I promised the Pinefox that I
would post to Sinister again when he posted again.  I didn't mean to
let him down; I won’t disappoint the PF, if I can help it.  So, here
I am… rock you like a hurricane.

In mid-April, I moved to London from the Los Angeles suburbs.  The
two are not remotely similar.  I brought Bapps with me, on account of
him being my husband and we’re continuing to get on so well, and
because he’s English and the reason I got a VISA. Can I tell you,
moving to a different country is NOT easy? It is not easy. Moving
isn’t easy, especially for me.  It takes me a while to adjust to
changes and feel comfortable.  I knew I’d be starting over, but when
I got to London I was shocked. Luckily, Ben and I found a flat right
away and that helped me to settle down a bit. Once Ben and I got
jobs, it helped even more.  But there were a good 3 months before we
got jobs when I felt as if it could all unravel at any point.  I’m
feeling the benefits of living in London now, and really enjoying
myself. I love seeing so many great friends that I have made from
Sinister on a fairly regular basis these days. It makes it even
easier to adjust to life in a different country.

Summer’s hastening on, and I’m wrapped up in books. I’ve been reading
so much since I’ve moved here.  I just have more idle time,
especially now that it takes me over an hour to get to and from work
on the buses and tube. I started reading Stuart David’s ‘The Peacock
Manifesto’ yesterday morning and finished it today.  It’s a great
book and quick to read. I especially liked it because of Peacock’s
reactions when he travels to different U.S. cities that don’t live up
to his expectations. I’ve had a similar feeling occasionally on road
trips.  Graceland is really small inside, I was hoping that Peacock
would actually take the inside tour of Elvis’ house and then bitch
about it!  Despite this omission, I think Stuart D is a very good
writer.  I'll read 'Nalda Said' next.

I almost feel in writing this that I’ve shown up to a party wearing
an outfit that is highly inappropriate for the occasion.  I’m sure
that most of you don’t even remember me. Which is quite a strange
thought since my life wouldn’t be what it is today without Sinister.
I suppose I am to blame for losing touch.  I got a husband out of the
deal and then jumped ship. I’ve been here the whole time, really,
though, I’ve just been lurking. Maybe the stories of mailing-list
romances just got to be too much. I can’t quite remember.

What IS fresh in my mind is Belle & Sebastian at Somerset House on
the 17th July. It was brilliant. I really enjoyed The Shins set as
well. Ben said the singer of The Shins looks like Kevin Spacey and it
made me giggle.  When b&s arrived on stage and began playing songs
from Tigermilk in succession, I didn’t think it could get any better.
The most fascinating part was the shift in their sound when they
played "Stay Loose", which is still my favourite song on DCW. I was
dancing like mad, but I almost felt as if I was watching this on TV.
It is awful to say this, but the previous times I had seen them in
L.A. had been so laden with personal interaction with the band that
this time almost felt like I wasn’t really there. This occurred to me
as they played “The Wrong Girl” and I remembered dancing on stage to
it three years ago – it is so far away, it’s as if I just made it up.
Last year’s treasure hunt planning and t-shirt designing with Stuart
Murdoch made seeing b&s live into much more of a production for me.
This time, I didn’t even bother to meet up with anybody for a picnic
beforehand.  Ken did, however, bring his 2 pint glass over to stand
with me and Ben for most of the show (that’s where he disappeared to,
Stefano!)  My anti-social behaviour made it easy to just soak in the
performance, as simple as that. It was perfection, the picturesque
setting and the music melted together and carried me away. By the
end, I didn’t feel the need to speak to anyone from the band or
create any other corresponding event to make the day complete like I
may have done in the past.  Does it mean that I’m getting boring?
You tell me...

Love,
Rachel fruitloop-Apps