Sinister: By the light of the moon, the big baboon was combing his auburn hair

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Thu Aug 12 13:42:49 BST 2004

It rains here a lot. If your days are spent like mine, gazing out of a
window, it can make the perfect backdrop for not getting anything done.
Sometimes I'll be sitting in a meeting and no one has seen the forecast or
brought a parapluie, and haven't noticed the falling raindrops gradually
filling up the sky. Then, it falls a little harder and people start to hear
and everyone looks up, and even the person giving the presentation puts the
cap on their felt-tip pen.

It's one of those natural phenomenons that, if I were an observational comic
or a misty-eyed drunk I could make a lot of capital from, wondering how no
one notices the rain until it reaches a certain pitch, just like no one
pauses on the path to look down a mysterious hole, until reaches a certain
depth. But I'm neither of those things, so I have to keep those thoughts to
myself.

Yeah, we have plenty of rain here. You're quite welcome to it if you want.
It's of a particular vintage if you're in a tent at the seaside with good
company and yesterday's smudged crossword.

Having missed the rest, I managed to catch Struan on the radio on Thursday.
I was going to the dentist in the morning and managed to hang around long
enough to hear him. He played Take the Skinheads Bowling, and waxed somewhat
lyrical about how this song was where the term Bowlie came from and how the
song summed up Indie for him. Struan seems to have a different idea of what
indie is to most people I meet. I like how he cherishes these modern slurs,
Bowlie, Twee, Indie, Hipster, Christian, and lives in a world where all of
these things are as holy as he wants them to be. Most people disagree, but
then I don't think most people have a clue.

Did anyone see the Animal Games on BBC1 last night
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/3558212.stm)? It was the most
extraordinary telly I've seen in ages. Apparently a bug can run so fast that
photons don't even have time to hit its eyes. John Motson says so, so it
must be true I guess.

Marisa said, charmingly:

<<There are two frontmen in the whole world whose voices
I know intimately...who I can identify by the way they
pronounce certain consonants...for whom I freeze when
I hear the timbre of their speaking voice...the first
time I heard both these bands, I *felt* the music rush
through me and I knew something big had happened in my
life...I feel what I imagine hollywood-style love to
feel like.>>

And I wondered who the second frontman could be..

R x