Sinister: Animalympics

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Thu Aug 12 18:25:48 BST 2004

I think it may be because of the animated film of that
name, c.1978 (?), that BBC's programme was called THE
ANIMAL GAMES and not ANIMALYMPICS. Or was it
ANIMOLYMPICS? Someone, preferably called Peter, should
write in and clarify.

'The Nile Crocodile, not one to announce his entrance
in advance'

'Let's see if the Roo is threatened by the Skipper'

'Well, really ... an *embarrassing* result for the
mammals, to be honest with you'

'He did it without breaking sweat. Do kangaroos
sweat?'
'Well, <heh> actually, Jonathan, there's some news on
that which I'll bring you in a moment - but first the
Mudskipper's going to have a jump'

'The judges are obviously in a good mood, they're
going to let the King Penguin have a second attempt!'

It's true, the programme was magnificent. That is, the
programme was magnificent - no-one else has said it
yet. I am a large fan of good parodies of John Motson,
but until last night perhaps I had not fully credited
that Motson parodies himself better than any of us. I
don't mean that he's unwittingly, foolishly yet
endearingly self-parodic, but that he very
deliberately, cannily, thoughtfully, hilariously
parodies himself, on THE ANIMAL GAMES. It was so
astoundingly good that it will have to be Issued On
DVD, preferably with Commentary By John Motson.

DE YE KEN, late call: yes, Murdoch did get them to
play 'Take The Skinheads Bowling'. I had never heard
it before, and have not heard it since. I could see
what he meant about it being indie, if that's the way
he wants to play it. I cannot see, though, how the
word 'Bowlie' derives from it. I listened relatively
carefully and did not hear the word 'Bowlie' at all.
That is like saying that the word 'Skinhead' derives
from the Sundays' 'Skin & Bones'.

About the rain: today, another 5-minute shower, out of
nowhere, like a pushed button in the clouds, and
stopping as suddenly.

Later, c. 4:45: gentle light over the green suburbs
making me feel momentarily in touch with momentous
long waves of sweet time, as though someone in April
1990 had just handed me a cup of tea.