Sinister: You'll leave two fingers in the air

Astrid Wiezell dearpaperclip at xxx.com
Thu Aug 19 14:25:27 BST 2004

Dear Sinister,

I am now back in school. It's ok, I guess. My best friend Zebine has moved
to somewhere really close to Dallas, and I miss her so much. The first day I
panicked and felt so out of place, and when I got to know that there'd be no
ordinary classes until Friday I was pretty bummed out. I really just want to
get going, because we have tons of fun classes this year, English foremost,
and psychology, geography might be pretty good because i think the teacher
is good, or so i've heard, and literature studies and oh... it will be good
I think. Hard work, but the kind of work that interests you is fine by me.

Today we, as third-years (last year in school EVER!! WOHOO! We have to point
this out by chanting stuff like "somliga har, två år kvar!" which means
"some people have two years left" but it rhymes in Swedish, gist of it v.
much lost in translation) had to be in the auditorium to attend something
called the buddy system with the first-years, and take a wild guess, were
supposed to befriend them a bit. We got divided into smaller groups and had
to sit in classrooms, and of course no one spoke (not even my fellow
third-year-classmates!) and so I gave tiny life-lectures to the wee things,
on such a broad variety that ranged from "Why it is stupid to assume that
English native teachers do not understand or speak English if you plan on
mocking them", "Behaviour with and of teachers", "Teenage Angst" and "Taking
Responsibility" and the old fave "Actions speak louder than words" when it
came to extra-curricular activites. Of course I hid it beneath some general
talk but hopefully they felt less angstish about the whole thing. I was
scared shitless the first day in school there, I knew no one and didn't even
understand what my first homwork in civics was ABOUT. But I turned out ok,
hopefully.

I seem to have an ace new English teacher to also help out with the school
paper, it's so much easier when you have a faculty member as support. Also,
the teachers are in many, many cases so much more fun to hang out with than
the students, I suspect he might have a great taste in music. Am I sick for
being like this? I think that I've always been. It's so weird, it's like
some people don't even realise that they're people too. Most of them are
really nice people.

The one boy in my group was pretty cool as well, and we sat beside each
other during the presentations in the auditorium and were cynical and
glorious in our comments, and he showed me his hair spray which i thought
was funny. It was pink and purple, and he was all clad in black and listened
to industrial stuff so i thought it was quite unexpected.

I was listening to Lord Anthony today and felt like him a wee bit. I tried
to do a re-make in my head, but Lady Astrid just doesn't have the same ring
to it. It sounds like someone who runs a brothel. Anyways, I feel just like
hom sometimes, and I love the metaphor of "shut your mouth/ start kicking
the football" because that IS how you gain popularity and all that stuff: by
dropping all personality, buy some boring but expensive clothes and start
going "OH MY GOOOD!!! IIIHHHH" many times a day, at least as a girl in
Sweden. Seeing as I'm not really into being like that and dressing like the
others do (today: red converse shoes, dark tight jeans, black cardigan with
B&S badge and sort of audrey hepburnish meets rock chick make-up) and STILL,
STILL I am considered a bit odd just because I dress like that. The badge, I
think, does it. A BADGE. Some people are easy to shock.

I must get home soon and bake a cake, my stomach is a-rumblin'.

Other non-important info:

- I have taken on to say "MeOW!" when I see a cute boy. Why, I have no idea.
Me and Amanda always have cute boy-shouts. The original was a quiet whisper
of "hello" and but now it has become a barely audible MeOW. Just so you know
that I'm not a cat impersonator.

- How nice of a word is kitten, come to think of it?

- I might write a song about sinister. I am not sure.

Shout-outs:

Richard: I will write you SOON, as soon as my school computer gets fixed up,
because I want to give a proper reply to your e-mails. They still do crack
me up, ha ha.

Marisa: Oh man, still, come to Sweden. You're so cool!

Anders: I have SICKO facts to tell you. I laughed for half an hour
(honestly) when I realised a hilarious thing about us, oh dude you'll DIE,
you'll DIE! Also: facts about myself, karaoke and the Lion King will be
a-comin' your way with my next letter. Combined, that is. Haha.

Nathan: Ok, so stupid me decided to re-do your entire tape last night, so I
have finished to A-side to my satisfaction, the other side tonight and the
letter's all done so soon soon my friend!

tons of love
Astrid x