Sinister: Word Games....Mind Games

Katia913 at xxx.com Katia913 at xxx.com
Mon Dec 6 05:07:54 GMT 2004

To the sinistereens near and far:

Do you kids like Boggle?? Up until this past summer, I was a strict scrabble square, but I met a girl that changed my life in Chicago in May.  I broke up with my boyfriend who loved me and I needed a change. He was calling every day. “Katie! I loooove you! I adore you” I wont play scrabble with you.  My words are worth less than ten points and I’d never use all seven tiles.  I returned home from school in mid-may and met someone who would change me and change how I thought about words.

My best best friend in the world goes to school in the south.  Carolyn came home two weeks before me and brought with her another C name.  Catherine is three years older than the two of us and never met someone she didn’t know.  She came to Chicago for an internship as a reporter. Her newslike voice doubled as a jazz singer nights. Catherine lived with Carolyn for the first two weeks she was in the city. Her last night with Caro was myfirst night home.  The three of us went to our favorite places, Improv Olympic on a Sunday night and The Golden Nugget. We listened to Jonathan David in the car downtown.

We had a great time and planned to meet up at her new apartment the following weekend for a similar week. I said I’d bring the post improvisational entertainment.

When getting a messenger together to our second meetup, I realized something I’d left at school, the love of my life and fire of my loins, my scrabble.  Well, we went down to the rest of the festivities and Catherine suggested we play Boggle instead. We played at the all night café all night, with all the characters nearby. All the characters I would have never given the chance to beat me. But they beat me.

All summer long we brought boggle along. We brought it to parties, played it at all the cafes and diners we could walk to, played it in the park.

She gave me my own before she left town.  Now I play it before I grab the little tiles I so dearly loved. I don’t remember my scores and although I usually beat everyone by now, that’s not what is important. I cant tell you how many people I’ve talked to when we’ve been playing somewhere and they mention the annoying chatter from shaking the cubes.

Come, sinister, and play a game with me.

xoxo
kate