Sinister: You've got to be carefully taught

Simon Fallaha psi_fla at xxx.com
Thu Dec 23 12:58:28 GMT 2004

Hello everyone.

I'm set to go to a Snow Patrol concert in a few hours.
This was yet another band that was slow to grow on me
(add The Libertines and Belle & Sebastian to that
list, among others). After listening to most of Final
Straw yesterday, I'm wondering why.

It's nearly the end of the year. So for fun, I thought
I'd list ten of my favourite songs from this year, in
no particular order. Songs that I hope you've all
listened to and enjoyed as much as I have.

Snow Patrol - Wow (Probably my favourite number on
Final Straw.)

Keane - Everybody's Changing (Perhaps Somewhere Only
We Know is superior, but this was the song that made
me want to attend their set at Oxegen.)

Super Furry Animals - Juxtapozed With U (OK, this is
an older song, but still, I've played it quite a few
times in the last few months. I never realised how
amazing it was until now.)

Belle & Sebastian - Step Into My Office, Baby/Dear
Catastrophe Waitress (It was too close to call. I love
nearly all the songs on the album, but these two
played alongside one another make for a great
combination.)

Kasabian - LSF (Such a simple song, yet so
energizing...)

The Killers - All These Things That I've Done
(Altogether now..."I got soul, but I'm not a
soldier...")

HIM - And Love Said No (Probably my favourite of this
Finnish band's original songs. I nearly said Wicked
Game, but it's a cover.)

Stephen Malkmus - Fractions & Feelings (my favourite
number off the Teachers 3 soundtrack. More on Teachers
in a moment.)

The Divine Comedy - Our Mutual Friend (You knew I had
to include a Divine Comedy song eventually. It seems a
simple song, but the lyrics are great and as for that
instrumental...well, enough said.)

Graham Coxon - Bittersweet Bundle Of Misery (Call this
Coffee & TV-lite if you want, but it was the song that
convinced me how good Graham was on his own.)

I could also throw in some Fountains of Wayne, maybe a
bit of Ash (especially Orpheus) but that would take
too long. Franz Ferdinand were close to having one
song on this list, but then they started to believe
their own hype.

It's just as well that we've had some great songs to
listen to this year, and a number of fine
concerts/festivals/gigs to go to (especially Oxegen,
which I won't forget for a while, and The Divine
Comedy's concert at the Waterfront Hall in Belfast).
Because in many other respects the year has been
pretty lacklustre. How many films or TV shows have you
really been truly enthusiastic about? I personally
felt that there weren't that many. Even the new series
of Teachers was well below par. Oh well. I suppose you
can blame it on the cast juggling.

Enough complaining. Hope you all have a merry
Christmas and a great new year.

Take care

Psi

PS Those of you who watched the Teachers Christmas
special a couple of days ago may have heard B & S's
version of O Come, O Come Emmanuel playing in the
background at one point. Quite a pleasant moment
actually...it reminded me of the time they played in
Northern Ireland, just over three years ago (when
Isobel was still with them).