Sinister: I don't hate Valentine's anymore (Thank you Adam Greeen)

a.s.t.r.i.d at xxx.com a.s.t.r.i.d at xxx.com
Tue Feb 17 11:44:31 GMT 2004

Sinister,

   How are you? I am tired as hell and not turning in a v. important essay today
because I simply am lazy as hell and now it's too late to get it in on time,
hence today's more, well, sinister, tone.

   However, I shalt not mope for long, because I had a lovely weekend. Usually, I
hate Valentine's Day because it means facing up to the fact that no one wants to
buy me stupid heart-shaped things or give me a card. First of all, I got lots of
heart-shaped sweets from my mum, which made me happy (and a feeling of illness
because I ate too many, as usual). On Friday, me and Amanda were discussing what
we should do on Valentine's so that we wouldn't be depressed. At first, we were
thinking about going to this shopping thingy at this posh mall, it was some sort
of interactive exhibition of trading clothes, but then we realized that Adam
Green out of the ever so wonderful Moldy Peaches was in town, so we went to the
good ol' club Debaser, where we have as of today gotten in once (Spearmint) and
hung around for two soundchecks (Interpol and Jesse Malin) so it felt like we
were back on old grounds. Unfortunately, the guy who was in charge that day was a
total tosser and was SO rude and  his whole attitude was a bit like "I'm in
charge and I wear a stupid beanie and I work out and I probably use self-tanning
lotion as well and I will DENY you access because I'm a tosser and there's
nothing you can do about it now, nothing you can do about it later and there
never will be.... mohaha!".

    Then we went round to the tourbus, which always makes you feel stupid because
you know that maybe someone is in there watching you while you are standing there
jumping up and down because you are cold. But when we did, who shall emerge from
it than Adam Green, and of course we were so dumbfound we only almost-talked; you
know when you stand there, mouth slightly ajar, almost talking so you look really
weird. Then we started giggling. Adam looked at us, mouth open. We thought he
decided to hate us from that moment or something, later, we found that he does a
lot of staring out in space with his mouth open.

    So we waited. And he came back. And I tried to get his attention when he
looked at me from maybe five metres away, and I raised my hand. Then I had his
attention, so I waved. And he waved back nervously. Then,I realized I was looking
like a complete idiot so I waved him over, and then we could do what we came
there to do: say, "Hey! You're great, and here is our demo and by the way we made
you this Valentine's day card", and he looked at us with big eyes and mouth ajar
again (we still didn't get that it was his expression of "I'm listening") but
then he said that we should wait, he went into the club and when he came back, he
said "Well, how about you come on the tourbus and I'll play you guys a couple of
songs, ok?". And so, he did. it was SO brilliant! He played on my request his
cover of The Libertine's what a waster. I was wearing my homemade Libertines
t-shirt and he started laughing when he saw the t-shirt during the song. He was
such a lovely guy. Then he played us a new song he had penned about one month ago
which was terrific, and then he played the sweet song Bluebirds, and after that,
on my request, Mozzarella Swastikas (Not sure about that name). At the time I
only knew that i'd heard it on the radio and that it was splendid, so when I
heard the lyrics where he sang about getting head under a rainbow over and over
and over again for ages, it was hard not to start giggle. He was sweet as hell,
though, and he really liked our name Kat. At first, he gave us The Look (open
mouth, v. big eyes) and I said "Er, it's not the best band name in.." and then he
cut me off by saying "It's cute. Kat." so I guess we have his blessing.

   Then, we took a polaroid photo of the three of us sitting in one of the wee
sofas in that tiny space on the bus, taken by sweetheart bandmate Nate. We did
this really stupid pose that Adam wanted the three of us to do. the photo got a
bit messed up because it got bent a bit before it was properly developed (or
that's my guess at least), but it's a cute photo none the less. Oh what a nice
day it was!

   Then we said adieu and he blew us a kiss before he disappeared into the club.
AH. Also, Jeffrey Lewis, who is on my mixtape from Gràinne, was in his band but
we only found out afterwards. And the weird thing was, i was thinking about
asking him if he knew him, because they are quite similar. But anyways.

It made us feel great, and we thought, hell, if we can spend time with Adam
Green, we can do anything. I know that if I'd read my posts on Sinister and not
be me, I'd think "Is she a groupie/hang-around or WHAT?" but really, I'm not.
It's just.... ah, how should I explain it. Meeting the people I admire makes me
feel as if there really is hope for me. It gives me hopes for the future,
somehow. I know it sound odd, and it's not as if I'm trying to take part of their
fame, I just like the feeling of knowing that they're people just as everyone
else. Because I'm "just as everyone else" and I make music and hopefully I might
be able to go SOMEWHERE with it at least, be it local youth club or the USA or
Great Britain or someplace else I want to study in.

And on that optimistic note, I shalt leave thou, sinister. Less sinister post
than I thought. Mood turned around.

Also. Johan/Froggy amazes me. I was NOT as cool when I was 14. I'm not sure I'm
as cool NOW. So keep posting.

Oh, and Kat is recording in the middle of April, sorry about the delay, but
something came up for Pelle, Amanda's dad (and the producer and owner of the
studio). Since we record for free, we have to wait until there really is TIME.
Which is now April. Thinking how lucky we are, though, makes it less hard to wait.

Also, again, Miami-tips anyone? I'm going in April and me and Amanda are on the
look-out for anything nice there. Well, apart from clubs and stuff, because we
wouldn't be able to get in anyways. But cafés, good places to shop, nice, er,
parks, or something, just things in general.

Now, I'm off to interview some teachers for my Organisation & Leadership class
about motivation. I really do not feel up to it, but I must persevere.

Love
Astrid x

P.S. I have NO idea if I just used the word persevere correctly. I would use it
as in enduring something, but what the hell. I'll take a chance. I'm feelin' wild
and crazy.

P.P.S. Did anyone else see Joel Shearer/Pedestrian when he performed as a support
act for Damien Rice on his last European tour? He was amazing, and today I had
gotten an e-mail from him, ah. How could I feel bad? Screw the essay, music is
the best thing in the world.

For up-to-the-minute music news, reviews and specials visit
http://www.nme.com

Get free e-mail (anyname at nme.com) now at http://www.nmemail.com

The sender of this e-mail is NOT an employee or associate of NME,
nme.com or any other IPC magazine.