Sinister: Static Electricity

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Tue Feb 17 23:09:35 GMT 2004

I wonder how many people have been listening to the Belle and Sebastian
sessions on the radio. Is it really just me and David Moore? Now that no one
else is bothered anymore, it's beginning to feel like I'm part of a secret
society again, banging my tuning fork on the tabletop and hearing sounds no
one else can hear.

Tonight on XFM they played session versions of Step Into My Office, Stay
Loose and I'm a Cuckoo. Stay  Loose was notable because Stuart sang it in
his normal voice, instead of letting RoboStuart take over, and it sounded a
lot more like a "normal" belle and sebastian song. I'm a Cuckoo was a treat.
Better than the album version I'd say. Low key, laid back and lovely.

The presenter kept talking about I'm a Cuckoo charting somewhere in the Top
Twenty this week, which should mean another Top Of The Pops appearance for
the rascals. I hope so. Luckily there are still reasons to buy their singles
even if you have the album. I'm buying it for Stop, Look and Listen, which
was on Radio Two last night and reminded me of the Beatles somehow. You
should buy it too.

You know, I remember the days when I could pick up radio stations magically
through an aerial and the vibrating ether. Now it seems I have to screw a
pipe into a wall. It's a funny old game.

+++

Has everyone seen the latest Sillustrations, by the way? The Foxystrator has
been busy with the felt -tip pens, drawing our thoughts for you all to see:
http://www.missprint.org/sinister/sillustrations/

Robin x