Sinister: XFM? Check. Virgin? Check. Radio 2? Check. HOUSE!

Paul Arathoon paularathoon at xxx.com
Wed Feb 18 17:39:30 GMT 2004

Anyway, onto other matters.

I bought I'm a cuckoo. Like the sort of person I am I didn't go into my
local independent record retailer to buy it (actually, they "don't do
singles") i went to a nasty large Woolworths who claim to do singles. And
there it was, in with a bullet  at number 18. Having said that they seem to
think that Franz Ferdinand's album is at 25 so this may not be utterly
accurate.
So I took the case to the counter where they had to find the CD. (Woolies
clearly suffer from a lot of shoplifting). 5 minutes passed as 2 of their
employees searched in vain for it in their little filing system. "oh well" I
thought, "they must have sold out".
Then the manager came past and said "maybe it's under 'S'". I laughed to
myslef thinking no-one would file Belle AND Sebastian under 'S' as the clue
is in the AND. ie would they do the same for Simon AND garfunkle, Chas AND
Dave, Rigby AND Peller (not that they stock clarsy underwear)- I think not.

But yes, there it was. Under 'S'. The things I do to keep Struan's bank
balance healthy...

The version of Travelling Light is interesting cos I got a promo of DCW
which had it on there and the squelchy synthy keyboard noise isn't there.
Stop Look Listen provides ground for a plethora of plagarism suits from
Messers Lennon's estate, Mr Mccartney, Mr Garfunkle AND mr Simon, the
Shadows and probably Brian Wilson. But it's so lovely that any High Court
judge would have to throw the action out.

I also like the radomness of the Avalanches. You got to hand it to them for
using the Southern Sudanese Orchestra. At first I thought they were chanting
the little bit of nonsense which appears as a footer under every Sinister
mail.

One last thing- I read an interview with Richard X in a magazine, the title
of which escapes me, might have been the XFM one. He was asked something
about future collaborations and he said he'd just been approached by a
"famous scottish indie band" to do something. The interviewer asked if it
was B&S and he refused to confirm or deny.
so there you have it- Richard X will possibly be fusing The Boy with The
Arab Strap to Voodoo Ray and Girls On Film in a mash-up bootleg style soon.

p a u l