Sinister: it's all gone wrong again, you've got double maths

Rachel Playforth R.Playforth at xxx.uk
Thu Feb 19 16:39:39 GMT 2004

I have a confession: this post will contain none of what used to be called
(somewhat narrowly one could argue) 'content'. There. I hope you'll forgive
a semi-retired and half-senile poster for the deviance.

It's good being grown-up. You get to drink alcohol and have sex and own
furniture and stuff. And more importantly, you never ever have to go a
maths lesson ever again. OR SO I THOUGHT.

Yesterday I was at 'uni' (is that what the kidz call it?) having my 7 hour
quota of MA teaching for the week. And all 7 hours of it was about
budgeting and accounting. Now, I am not one of these fluffy bunny types who
can't get her head round the need to prepare a budget every so often in
professional life. What I AM, is entirely incapable of understanding IN TWO
SHORT HOURS the finer points of NPV and DFC and IRR and .9091 as a
percentage over 10 years and arrrrgh... all delivered at a speed humming
birds would have trouble keeping up with. There was NO NEED for us to be
burdened with this terrible half-knowledge at this point. I was immediately
transported back to GCSE maths and physics in front of a cruel-mouthed
tyrant who was supremely disgusted that his/her tiny charges were not able
to understand the perfection of his/her mathematical brain.

However, later I decided that a 10 year interval in between occcasions of
being made to feel utterly stupid is not that bad going.

Meanwhile, I watched a very good film last night called La Finestra Di
Fronte. It has no maths in it at all and I highly recommend it to anyone
who likes Italian pastries, understated romance or elderly gays with a
tragic past. Something for everyone really.

What else was I going to say? Oh yes, I was wondering whether a Brighton
picnic on Saturday 3 April might be agreeable? I know it's a long way off
but that's the soonest I can guarantee not to have evil coursework exerting
its grip. Well, let me know. It's pencilled in, in what passes for the
Archel mind these days.

You're all lovely.

Archel xxx

PS. I hope everyone remembered that it was the inimitable Miss Maddie
Minx's birthday on Tuesday. She still rocks the Sinister kasbah despite
being oh so quiet.