Sinister: Trainspotting, Tigermilk and fooled by time

Froggy Frogh kermit_the_frogh at xxx.com
Sat Feb 21 22:21:57 GMT 2004

Hello you all.

This time I will try to write a better letter than the one I just finished
off (this was a week ago. Well how time flyes). That won’t be too hard
really. Just keep it focused and we will be all right.

I forgot to add in my latest letter how Valentine’s Day went. Or really, the
day before Valentine’s Day. Well first I didn’t get a flower. None. Zip,
nada, ingen. Well I didn’t’ expect one either. None at all. I mean since my
friends didn’t send one, the chance that I would get one was small. And
really I don’t feel so very bad about it. Just a little self pity, right?
Ah, well.

The hard thing is that every one else gets a flower. Or maybe I’m wrong? Is
it just so that you notice all those who gets flowers, but those who get
none just pass by? I do think it is so, after a bit of thought.

Well, I guess things are relative.

Some things affect you. I had just bought Tigermilk, and I was off to a
place where they show different older movies on big screen, like a movie
club, to see a film, Trainspotting. Every one who has seen that movie, knows
what I mean when I say it is a difficult one (or maybe you disagree? Maybe
some people thinks it is hilariously funny. Well, I didn’t). For all those
who haven’t seen it here is a short basic story. The movie follows a group
of drug addicted Scottish people. No matter what they do or try to stay out
of it they get stuck to all kinds of drugs ("We would have injected vitamin
C if they one would have made it illegal"). Well, it is a heavy movie with
some
 let’s say strange episodes. It gave me a dirty impression. Don’t get
me wrong here; what I mean is dirt, like mud. Let me explain. In the hotels
the curtains where old and ugly, the streets where dirty, the people was
strange and so on. Well, it really put me in a strange mood. What I would
rather have wanted to see was clean nice things, a movie with important
people doing important stuff and save the day in the end. The classical
American thing.

Well, the worst part of all this was that it reflected on my new Tigermilk
record. It also felt dirty, out of date, strange. For a whole afternoon and
night I felt like this. Trainspotting had made Tigermilk bad. After two days
I put it in my CD player again. Well, I thought, none of them are so good
really, and that Electronic thing is really bad. I thought; well, thank
heaven they have improved. The third time I listened to it I noticed there
was a song, that was better than the others. “She was the reason for all the
looks we gave”. It was sang in a low, dark key and sounded really good. In
listened to it again. Well that second song wasn’t so bad after all either.
The next morning or so, I found myself humming to the first song. After
giving up I played it again. This time I liked all of the songs, except the
Electronic Renaissance. I still don’t like it much. I just accept it. Well,
at least Tigermilk was clean. A bit of silly American programs did the
trick. Nothing is so useful for starting to believe in the world again as
bad American TV. Well, at least it’s good for something then.

And also, I must beg the B&S; NEVER EVER do a Best Of record. Please,
please! There are two reasons for that. The first is the same reason that
makes it impossible, for me at least, to do a mix CD with B&S. I know when
all songs are coming, and if they don’t come in the right order I get
furious. And secondly, a best of record marks that “this is as good we get,
now we can’t get better”, which would take out all of the possible fun out
of it.

Time is a funny thing. I realised a while ago, that before the last Sunday
in September last year I had only heard “The boy with the Arab strap” and
“Legal Man” of B&S. That Sunday I had thought to see a movie at the same
film club as I mentioned above, but I was one week early and it hadn’t
started yet. So I went down to a local CD shop and bought Arab Strap. It was
a sunny day, and I was carrying around my left arm in a bag while walking
home. When I got home I put it on and played it again and again. Oh. It
feels like B&S have been a part of my life forever. I guess B&S is one of
the single things that have had the most impact on my life. Strange.

Well, I better finish this letter of. I must thank Astrid, and congratulate
her to a nice Valentine’s Day. Could it have been better?

I do hope you all have a really nice time!

Oh, and this upcoming week I have V-a-c-a-t-i-o-n, in the summer time! Well,
not really but
 But

Ah, well, you will be hearing from me quite soon, I guess.

Johan

PS. PLease don't mind spelling mistakes. I think there are some here