Sinister: the invention of ordinary everyday things

anders anders at xxx.com
Mon Jan 5 12:50:23 GMT 2004

sinister,

last night when i went to bed, as i do every night, i did something i don't do every night, though i happens far too often. what i did was to find my walkman from wherever i put it down the last time i used it, probably by the bed, i only ever use my walkman by my bed, or, of course, at buses, but lately, due to it being christmas holiday, i've been in lack of reasons to take a bus. i've been riding buses sure, but not that often, so i guess i found the walkman by the bed. but still i got up i think, at least, in one way or another i had a certain record called dear catastrophe waitress in my hand, soon it was in my walkman. quite a lovely walkman by the way. a tiny walkman. cool. and i pressed the "play" button, heard the disc starting to spin and soon sound poured from my hearing aid, i laid back and "she called me up today" and i was off. for christmas i got a poster. the promo poster of dcw, and i put it up on a wall in my room so that i can lie down and see it from my b!
ed, not on purpose, i didn't try to find a place where the waitress and the band would be the last thing i saw in the evening and the first thing in the morning, it just turned out that way, it was a free space. i was quite glad i did that yesterday because i quite like to have a look at the cover of the record i listen to when i listen to it, but sometimes, especially when in bed, i get tired of holding it so that i can see it all the time, in this case about 48 minutes, not that i would have, but it was very convenient having the poster to peek at instead. and so i just listened to the whole record. before i did that i'd read quite a lot. lots of reading. first i finished the hobbit, which i had to finish, we read it at school, well, at least those of us who'd already read holes by louis sachar. i have read both. i preferred to read the hobbit again rather than holes. and so i did. but i finished that, i've been reading like hell the last few days, mostly because i had to !
be done when we started school again tuesday, but also because !
when i finished that one i could finally focus on a book that i want to read, because it's just amazing, which is the house of the spirits by isabel allende, i've read most of it, but finally i can read that book without having the feeling of doing somthing i shouldn't. if you haven't read it you should. it's wonderful. though i'm not all the way through it yet, but the time will come. so will the time when i will be at b&s's gig at rockefeller. 26.03.04. doors open at eight o'clock. i'm.....excited. i guess i'm the only one here to see that gig, if no one fancy a trip to oslo in march, but frankly, the weather's usually terrible at that time of the year. today, though, the weather's actually lovely, no not lovely, but okay, now that i've realised that i love the snow. hit the snow. i went out yesterday and spent all day playing and fooling around. came in drenched to drink cocoa. lovely, but as i woke up yesterday and saw the snow i wasn't at all pleased. the snow totally r!
uined my plans for the day which were to walk to a lake nearby and skate. for miles in one direction. it had been cold for a week but no snow, then when i would finally take advantage of that, the snow came, turned out to be quite a lovely day anyway. i had good company. still, imagine being able to put on your skates, and then get up, and just skate for miles and miles and miles.... i was so looking forward to it. i know it'll be a while until i get that opportunity again. pity. today though, i'm fond of the snow. it makes the world outside the window look so beautiful. if the snow was gone i'd have said the weather was depressing, when it's there; it's beautiful. both. and so was dcw when i heard it again last night. been a while since the last time, and i was reminded what a great album it actually is, not that it's their best, not even close, but it's just amazing, lovely pop. and i just lay on my back thinking about the world and things happening, quite much like you've!
 heard now, for all 48 minutes. when i went to sleep it was 01.!
00. thanks to allende and murdoch. i was supposed to go to bed early, and get up early. failure. a catastrophe actually. i got up at 10.15, to hear that my mum had arranged things so that someone would be expecting me at 11.00. this someone was the hair dresser. and there i went. i look better now than before i went so i can't complain. my plans for today was originally to do as little as possible as it is the last day of the holiday, but then i found out that i have to go to football training. yay. i don't feel like playing football when the snow is falling. i don't know if that's weird, but i don't. seems like to most norwegians that's no problem. i think football's to be played in the summertime. on a green field with good friends. but that's not what everyone here thinks. but norwegians aren't famous for their knowledge of football. knowledge maybe. in organising. but not in how to entertain. might as well do it on a rainy day in autumn or a snowy day in january. who car!
es. as long as you learn how to "play". but i guess i have to go. i will. it's just that i'm totally in lack of motivation. moral is on an all time low. when it comes to football. but i'm not at all sad that school starts again tomorrow. moral is on an all time high. it'll drop quickly when things starts to happen sure, but in the end of my holiday, school is comfortable. naturally. but it was not natural what happened on the first day of the year. it didn't make any sense. it was surreal. surreal but nice. it was unbelievable. i don't know if most of you know about it, you probably do, but there was something called world idol on that day. and what happened. the world idol man: "the winner is kurt nilsen from norway!". oh dear. what...? i couldn't believe it. kurt nilsen. he looks, apparently like a hobbit, i don't think so, but i agree that he's not what most people would call good-looking. he is a plumber. a plumber! with a wife and two children. i thought it amazing that!
 he won in norway, but world idol... and he's from arna. a wee !
place not too far from bergen. bergen though has lots of great artists like sondre lerche, kings of convenience, royksopp, julian berntzen, nathalie nordnes and ralph myerz and the jack herren band, but still. it can in no way explain why a man from somewhere not very far from there, a plumber from not very far from there would win world idol. runner up being kelly clarkson. who's sold about 2,5 millions or something, of her record. surreal. but great fun. i love kurt. he's just a nice guy who can sing. that's all. well, except that he's world idol of course. the same day sigurd pettersen won some ski-jumping thingy too. big thing apparently. in garmisch partenkirchen.... erm, or something close to that. it's in germany anyway. good day for norway. and for me.
most of the days these days are.
how to make days good:
-get up late
-eat
-drink
-take a long shower
-play a good record
-do something good for someone else
-do something good for you
-think about things you SHOULD do
-don't do them
-laugh at people that has to do boring things
-do something fun instead
-forget all about your troubles
-go to bed late
-do most of this together with someone you're fond of
there's one weakness about this list though, and that is that the things you should do, well, you'll have to do them later. so maybe it should be like this instead:
-eat and drink and all that
-do everything you should
-try to do something you want to. if you've got the time
-go to bed early, there's plenty to do tomorrow.
sigh, i fear that'll be more like it when school starts again, but i hope it won't. neither do i think so. moral is high. hmmm. what else can i say. oh yeah, i can mention that i am now one of you. i've got hold of those badges, and they are now on my bag, upside down, some at least. the red and blue that says
      belle and
      sebastian
is at least. i think that's enough. there's no one here to understand it anyway. well well. and i didn't go bowling, i'd have loved to, erm, not that i'm fond of bowling, it's yuky with those holes in the balls, all the burgers and fat food, eat with your fingers, and...yuk. it's not even that much fun, but still i do it sometimes, but none were in the mood on that day. sorry. so i will now go back to try and do as little as possible. i'll read. i'll drink tea maybe. if i feel up to it. lazy is the word.
on a monday, the first of 2004. and now finally i'll come to the point: hope you'll all have a happy new year, and that you've had a wonderful christmastime.
happy new year once again!
take care,
anders