Sinister: "I'm A Charlatan"

Neil Robertson neil at xxx.net
Fri Jan 9 12:15:31 GMT 2004

Yes, sorry.
My mistake. I put 1978 instead of 1980 in the Alan Wells spiel.
I was thinking, at the time, of his gold medal in the 1978 Commonwealth
games 100m (he also won silver in the 200m at these games), and my mind may
also have been distracted by his gold success in both the 100m and 200m at
the 1982 Commonwealth games in Brisbane. Also worth bearing in mind is that
Alan's winning time in '78 was the fastest competition time in the world
that year.

It is easy to get confused with all the glory this man has had.

It's worth noting that despite the presence of "Team USA", a Trinidadian
claimed gold in 1976, a Briton in '92, a Canadian in '96 and if poor old Ben
Johnson hadn't had his drink spiked in '88, "Team Canada" would have won
then too. So it would be erroneous to assume that "Team USA" just have to
turn up to win the sprint, given they only won two of the six between '76
and '92.

Neil