Sinister: I never should have settled down, hanging round in a one horse town...

Stuart Gardiner stugardiner at xxx.com
Sun Jan 11 21:01:18 GMT 2004

So I'm not hanging around any longer. There's only so much time a man can
cope with his parents for, and I passed that amount of time about three
months ago. It's finally gone far enough, so I'm leaving tomorrow. For
Thailand.

OK, so it's not really just the parents that have made me want to leave the
country for a while. The sun, the beaches, the temples, the jungle, the
mountains, the trekking, the food, the people... All perfectly good reasons
to head to Asia for a few months.

Am I running away from real life? Possibly. But what's the point of working
your arse off for years, caring about nothing more than getting a slightly
bigger house and car? That's not the life for me. So I'm not as rich as some
of my friends who've been working as investment bankers or something for a
few years. But I've had what I consider to be a much better life. Doing a
job I enjoy for the last few years, and working hard enough at it to get the
money to pay for this. My life never has been, and hopefully never will be,
ruled by making money. I've got the chance to spend the next few months
having the experience of a lifetime; it would be immoral to turn down that
chance, wouldn't it?

It's weird, when I tell people I'm planning on going travelling for a while,
I get two responses. Either they say I'm wasting my life (hardly, I've had
more of a life than anybody devoting their life to an accountancy firm will
ever have); or they say they're jealous (in which case, get off your arse
and do it yourself! Saying you've got to keep your job / house / money
whatever is just an excuse. If you really want something, go for it!).

I'll be thinking of you (not least when I'm A Cuckoo becomes B&S's first top
ten single next month... And why not? It's their best, and most radio
friendly, single for years). And who knows, maybe you'll think of me, when
you look out of the window at another winter's day, and I'm living in a
beach hut off the coast of Cambodia, or trekking in Nepal. And you'll
decide, sod this, I'm going to do the same. Because you can, you know. Don't
dream it, be it.

Right, I'm leaving first thing in the morning, and it's now 9pm. Time to
start packing...

Big Stu