Sinister: Shall We Dance?

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Thu Jan 15 22:58:27 GMT 2004

Hello Sinister, long time no see..

The record I've been listening to the most recently is called "Shall We
Dance... by Buddy Morrow and his Orchestra"; a selection of foxtrots,
quicksteps and other dance-hall classics. Every tune is a warm clarinet-led
instrumental number, except for track Four on side B, which is a cover of
"Let's do it (let's fall in love)". It comes on unexpectedly while I'm
reading a book and I end up wiggling my toes along to the tune. It's a very
peculiar song, though. Apart from all the birds and bees and educated fleas,
who are all doing it, perfectly legally it seems (though the bees must find
it rather tricky with those big thorny stings sticking out of their bums;
you wouldn't want to get things muddled up if you were a lady bee). No,
that's all perfectly reasonable, and I don't mind about the Dutch, the
Finns, the Lithuanians and Letts. I'm even prepared to accept that in Boston
even beans do it. Honestly, I am. No, what i don't understand is why
literally half of the song is preoccupied with SEAFOOD. Heavens to Betsy!
You're halfway through the song, you haven't even started to explain WHAT
they are doing. Half your audience think it's about DIY. Maud nudges Harold,
"You see, Harold. THEY'RE doing it. Why don't you? It's about time you got
up the loft and tackled the stop cock. Go on, cock". No, instead, while
domestic strife is breaking out left, right and centre across the land, you
start singing about romantic SPONGES, and fucking SHADS for heaven's sake! I
mean, what IS a SHAD??!! "That reminds me. You could fix the door on that
shed, Harold, while you're in the mood." Do you see what you've done?? It
started off on such a good note, and ended up squelching about in oysters,
clams and jellyfish. A tragedy! Quick! Bring on another foxtrot!

I wonder. I've just come off the phone to a friend of mine who lives in
Leeds and we were talking about spending next weekend there and seeing
Camera Obscura on the 24th. Have you heard of them? Apparently they're
rather splendid. Maybe some Sinister people are going, too. Hmm, you never
know!

Au revoir,

Robin