Sinister: Sydney Reporting Back

terry boyle terryunderwear at xxx.com
Tue Jul 27 03:52:20 BST 2004

hello,

here goes...

My lovely friend and I arrived at the Enmore Theatre at about 8pm, expecting to see Architecture in Helsinki kicking off their set, but they obviously started earlier and we only caught three or so songs.  They seemed a bit boring though, which was disappointing as I like their records.  Their last song (The Owls Go) was pretty good.  This was my first time to the Enmore (and first gig in Sydney for that matter, excluding a very nice instore appearance by The Fiery Furnaces), and I was impressed.  It has very nice acoustics and a great atmosphere.

Between sets we got some drinks, then I went off to the loo, not expecting the belles to start til 9pm.  When I re-entered the unisex environment the band were on stage and Stuart was mentioning something along the lines of the band were a little tired and couldn't really remember the previous night's Melbourne show.  I just got back in the theatre in time to see them kick off proceedings with I Fought In a War, after which Stuart made the following joke: Did you hear about the Gay Sailor? He steamed into Sydney.  It didn't really get any laughs, probably because no one knows what steaming is (including me).  I assume it is a gay reference?  Anyhoo, B&S then played the following songs (in a very jumbled order and probably some omissions.  and maybe songs that they didn't actually play at all - it all gets so confusing...):

Step Into My Office Baby
The Model
Wrapped Up In My Books
If She Wants Me
The Fox in the Snow
The State I Am In
If You Find Yourself Caught In Love
Like Dylan In the Movies
She's Losing It
You're Just a Baby
Asleep On A Sunbeam
Stay Loose
Le Pastie De La Bourgeouise
Travellin' Light
Judy and the Dream of Horses
Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying
The Boy With the Arab Strap
I'm A Cuckoo
Legal Man
Sleep the Clock Around

A very different set to the Melbourne show it would seem.  They took a little while to get, the first part of the show was a bit flat (except for Stuart, who was dancing like a kid on red cordial for the whole show.  I haven't seen anyone dance like him since, bizarrely enough, Billy Bragg).  Wrapped Up In Books and If She Wants Me were my highlights of the first half.  If She Wants Me was entirely cool and groovy actually, probably my favourite song of the night.  Fox in the Snow would have been good but for a nasty mix which saw the bass buzz everything else into oblivion.  Everyone cheered when Stuart forgot the words to The State I Am In, and again when he threw the microphone into the air and unsuccessfully tried to catch it (adding strength to David Hewitt's suggestion that Stuart stick to sports where you can't use your hands).  If you Find Yourself Caught In Love was performed with huge amounts of gusto and saw the band blow out the cobwebs, move up a gear, take it to
  a higher level, and other such cliches).  Stay Loose was equally danceable, and Le Pastie (a pleasant surprise) really got the kids moving.  Sarah got perhaps the biggest cheer of the night when she stepped up for Asleep On A Sunbeam, and she totally deserved it.  She was just spot on all night, seemingly happy to stay out of the spotlight but when she steps up it is pure brilliance.   I think she is my favourite member now.

Halfway through the set was cover time.  After a fair amount of crowd and band interaction they had an attempt at Take On Me.  No one knew the words, or the music, but Stevie figured out the chords in quick time and the band doo-ed and daa-ed their way to the first chorus, which turned into a big sing-along.  This was a really cute warm fuzzy moment.  Then they asked for more cover suggestions, someone yelled AC/DC, and so it was.  Problem Child was performed in true Oz Rock style, except it kind of ended up sounding like an 80's indie tune (with Stuart's vocals.  Stevie was lead guitaring himself silly and Bob epitomised the cool bass player (as he did all evening).

The second half of the set was a little patchy, but that may have been caused in part by my aching feet (I'd been wandering around Sydney and surroundings in the week leading up to the gig).  The highlight was Arab Strap, which turned the Enmore into a great big disco.  Legal Man ended the main set, before the crowd stamped their way to a brilliant encore - and gig closer - in Sleep The Clock Around.  About a dozen lucky folk got to have a dance on stage and have photo's taken.  And then, kind of suddenly, the lights came on and it was time to go home.

My overall impression - fantastic in some parts, a little disappointing in others.  At times it was a little close to listening to the CD for my liking, a bit too polished and clean, but there were plenty of moments that were exactly what I'd hoped for.

I also think the gig was a little tainted by the way I perceive Belle and Sebastian.  This could end up sounding completely ridiculous, but their music is really personal and intimate for me, and seeing them with a couple of thousand other people felt a bit like dating Kylie Minogue but having to share her with ten other people.  You have the sheer delight of "woo I'm dating Kylie!", but it is tainted by the ten other blokes that also get a piece of her.  Entirely selfish I know, but I'm always asking for more (more) more (more).

looking forward to hearing other Melbourne and Sydney experiences (the exact set list would be great!), and some Brisbane reports (this means you Alex!).

love,
terry

here's what i think: http://naivetysucceeds.blogspot.com

caitlin and terry's sinister recipe tree archives: http://www.joannou.net/topofthestairs/sinifood/