Sinister: Twee in the Park!

The Hodottir hodottir at xxx.com
Mon Jun 14 21:55:26 BST 2004

Hola Sinistras

S'it hot where you are?  Coz it's uncommonly warm here in Arbroath (the
armpit of North East Scotland), where I'm spending a week with my folks.
It's the usual Summer visit.  We all have to do it.  We all get to whinge
about it.

Anyway, the great thing is that only the way up from London to here, I
stopped in on Glasgow for the 'Belle & Sebastian and friends' FREE concert
at the Botanic Gardens.  Did anyone else go? The night before, I went to
Sufjan Stevens at 'Stereo', which was a fine warm-up, and we even [are
pretty sure we] saw Isobel (Campbell, that is), looking very happy with a
young man, and with her lovely pony-tail swinging off into the uncommonly
mild Glasgow night.

So, Saturday, and by way of some kinda miracle, the city took on tropical
traits and it was a scorcher!  Straight down the Brel (smashing pub with
great grassy slope out the back) we went for a few pre-gig pints, then off
to the park.  Got to the park - great!  Realise there's nowhere to buy booze
- bad!  Back outta the park (sneaking past security men eating ice lollies,
God love 'em), and managed to sweet-talk our way into an Off Licence that
was threating to close coz of demand...

So then we're back in the park again, and settling in for the show, and WHAT
A SHOW!  The band played favourites from all eras - from Dylan in the Movie
right through to Stay Loose, and it sounded amazing!  Monica Queen made a
guest appearance for LLPJ, and there was a REAL LIFE piper for Sleep The
Clock Around (which I heard from the portaloo queue, but never mind).

All in all, it was an immense evening, and a roaring success by all
accounts.  We didn't make it to the after party, although we DID try our
best to go see Uncle John & Whitelock, but too many Tennent's we stacked
against us, I'm afraid.

Thanks to the band - Saturday was what it's all about: a really good way to
say 'cheers' to the folk of Glasgow for being totally and utterly fucking
marvellous. I'm sure the sun shone stronger just for y'all.

Love, like it sprays from a dropped can,
Miss Ho

PS - Hear! hear! to Neil for scuppering that shocking attempt to sell
tickets won in a competition.  Christ, what's next - Grannies going for £50
a-piece?  BAH!

See yaz all at Somerset Sunday.