Sinister: obscurity knocks, the Feelies and the day Fabricio died....

Samiam Green Eggs And Ham samiamx at xxx.com
Sat Jun 19 01:57:13 BST 2004

Haven't written in a while, but a few things are on my mind. First, what is
the second chord in Bigmouth Strikes Again? The ones on the popular guitar
tabs are wrong (C#M, E, F#), it just doesn't sound right (but I can't figure
out what it is). I was watching a Franz Ferdinand interview while strumming
when I suddently bumped into C#M with exactly the write tempo, when I
realized it was a smiths chord and now my dilemma.

It's stunning to me that Franz Ferdinand's popularity has surged in the
states. Apparently they are slated to appear (or already have appeared) on
Pepsi's Smash American show, which is a pure spectacle of shite. I have a
feeling that popular"indie" music as we know it will be the next genre to
blow up huge in the states. Suddenly during the past year or so, American
networks like the WB and Fox have been playing bands like Death Cab
constantly during the backrounds of shows.

I scored the Feelies first CD two weeks ago -- I couldn't believe it, i've
been looking for it for two years -- it's very hard to find. Anyway, if you
have not heard these guys, I highly urge you to track them down -- they are
the missing link between Velvet Underground/Television and the Smiths/REM
and other post-punk. I won a Television CD from our local station a year ago
and I liked the CDs and since then i've been trying to buy other highly
influential obscure bands. There's record label website somewhere that has
MP3 samples.

Is it me or is the singer from the Darkness look just like Frampton from
Frampton comes alive? I was stunned the other day when shopping for CDs, i
ran across a Frampton cover and I initially thought it was a Darkness CD
till i saw the title. Just caught me off gaurd. The aforementioned Feelies
CD that I found the other day caught my attention because I thought it was
Weezer's debut album -- they looked almost identical.

I heard Beulah's breaking up, but they're playing a free show in NYC in
August in case anyone's interested. I may go, but i'm first looking forward
to seeing Franz Sunday in DC. Bonsoi...Sam