Sinister: A Century of Quakers

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Tue Jun 22 21:20:02 BST 2004

Sinisterines:

I met a Quaker once. I was sitting under the vicar's sycamore tree and he
came out of the kitchen with some biscuits and offered one to me. I remember
I was quite shocked that he was such friends with the vicar but didn't
believe in God. He didn't seem to believe in much, really, just quaking and
biscuits. It must have made a lot of crumbs.

I waited in on Saturday morning for a friend to come round, so had the
chance to listen to Belle and Sebastian on Jonathan Ross. He asked them a
question, in his wubber-lipped way, about why on earth their album titles
are so long. The gang seemed a little offended. Stuart said that their label
tells them the same thing - they could be so much more famous if their song
titles were a little more snappy. Stuart was quite snappy himself, actually.
He really is prickly at times. My friend arrived late, so I didn't have to
make excuses for being in on a sunny day. I could hardly have told him the
reason why.

Marauding Murdoch was around on Sunday, too, in the Observer listing his ten
best British albums. It was quite pleasing to see that only three of the
albums he chose made it into their Top 100 British Albums
(http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,13887,1241254,00.html), as the
whole thing was a pretty dull and predictible exercise. The Britannia music
club catalogue has more surprises in it. For those who are interested, here
is his list. I'm glad to see that the West Midlands are well represented:

1. Poem Of The River / Felt
2. Victorialand / Cocteau Twins
3. Forever Breathes The Lonely Word / Felt
4. You Can't Hide Your Love Forever / Orange Juice
5. London Calling / The Clash
6. The Smiths / The Smiths
7. The Specials / The Specials
8. Y / The Pop Group
9. The Raincoats / The Raincoats
10. Colossal Youth / Young Marble Giants

I wonder if those bands ever had arguments about how long their album titles
should be.

Has anyone bought the new single yet? Reviews please!!

Robin x