Sinister: BOOKS - I'll be a doozer if I can

Anders Grivi anders_grivi at xxx.com
Fri Jun 25 15:04:53 BST 2004

Sinisterines;

Did you know that since May found its ending and June commenced we've only
managed to send 33 posts? 33 posts in 25 days doesn't sound too bad maybe,
but still, I've maintained the feeling of "oh, it's oh so quiet in Sinister
and thus so quiet in my inbox". So please, do post. Every one of you. But
I'm not complaining. I don't have the right to do so, cause I haven't
contributed myself; that's why I'm writing this so that I can do it at the
end of the mail. Complain that is.
And because B&S has released a new EP and nobody's mentioned it! (I
think..?)

It's raining in Oslo today, and it's been raining for a week now.
Last monday I was going to have a day of sports. Running, throwing and
jumping and stuff. This was something my school decided by the way. Great
fun.
I put on my raincoat, ran to the underground with an umbrella in my right
hand and an apple in the other. An apple a day keeps the doctor away, and I
hoped it would help me keeping the doctor away. Far away. It was raining.
Not just a quick shower.
We tried to go through with it anyway, but after half an hour of track and
field activities whilst holding umbrellas, a sensible person decided it was
enough. It was nearly as the day after tomorrow when the tide(?) come
rushing in, only that there are few of those skyscrapers here in Norway.
This is typical. This is summer!
I read in the paper today that the average temperature's been 14,1 degrees
in Oslo.
And it's June! Someone do something! Isn't there a global warming going on?
Money and resources are unfairly divided between the world's inhabitants,
but so is the weather!
Strange though that it's nearly true that:
      rich country = brrrr, i'm freezing, oh no! not rain again! noooo!!!
please!!
      relatively poor country = oh, this is okay. sun again, but no money
      Sierra Leone = I'll give you anything for an air conditioner!!
(although i don't own anything)
It would be GRRRREAT if the rich countries could buy som nice weather from
the poor countries. I believe that all countries would be approximately just
as wealthy then. Someone invent something that makes it possible to buy
weather! It'd solve all our problems.
Or we could do it the old-fashioned way; revolution in the summertime.
Hasta la victoria siempre!

BOOKS EP

1) Your Cover's Blown
hmmm.... was this the right disc or did I incidentally put on my sister's
Michael Jackson disc..?
Oh, that's right. That was a cassette.... I suppose it's Belle & Sebastian
then but... HELP!
"How do you have my number?"    AHHH!!!
"Why don't guide me; you be the driver?"
That's Struan saying "AHHH!!"!!! WHAT IS THIS?!?
..well, it's quite catchy actually.
I really like it. The DISCOISH guitar riff and the playful electronic
noises.
And then after three minutes it slows down.....:
"I'll go on my own......"
And then a paranoid Spanish march/Something of the Kill Bill soundtrack
about a kid starting her cool caressing and undressing. and back again. it
lasts for 6 minutes, but feels like 3. not that far away from Stay loose,
probabaly, but the "AHH!!!"... gives the song a bit of a, ummm, Ah!-feel to
it.
And for once it feels like Richard is the most important musician...
And the bass-line is cooool. It merely proves Struan's genious: he makes
disco, michael jackson, "AH!!!"s, Tarantino, cool caressing, aberrations,
bummers in the summer, potted plants and boxlike houses sound cool, catchy
and totally natural. I mean; why do it differently?
To sum up: Unusual, but great, Great, GREAT!

2) Wrapped up in books
We all know this. Wonderful. Probably my favourite off DCW together with If
she wants me, Cuckoo and Piazza. I think you all know what this sounds like.
If you dont: er...?

3) Your Secrets
The best track on this EP!
An instant classic. I'd heard a radio version, and was surprised to find
that it had more of an accoustic feel to it on record. It's just a perfect
pop song. Accoustic guitars, hammond organ, and a melody line drenched in
hooks. And Stuart does one of his best ever vocal performances.
Wonderful.

4) Cover
Mr. Geddes found some of the tapes used to record Your Cover's Blown and
decided he'd fools around with them a bit, testing his DJ set; take the
worst parts of Your Cover's Blown and make them even worse. It's a great
remix.

The video can be found on the internet; have a look yourself
The videogame can be found on the internet; have a look yourself. (though i
think it's boring.. but i don't have the patience to play computer games)

RIOT ON AN EMPTY STREET

Kings of Convenience's second album is great. When I came home and played
Books and ROAES i thought maybe they'd given me Michaels Jackson and Simon
and Garfunkel. Homesick, Misread, I'd rather dance with you are great tunes.
Another great norwegian band is called The Loch Ness Mouse. I love their
debut album called Flair for Darjeeling although I must admit i don't have
an idea what darjeeling means..

BARCELONA
Next week I'm going to Barcelona. Which is nice I suppose. But I would
rather joined my friends to The Quart Festival and seen Shins, Jim Stark,
Snow Patrol and Moz. Ah....
If you REALLY want to give me an advice on what I could do/see in Barcelona
or Catalonia then; okay. You're allowed to tell me. It would even make me
happy.

SCANDINAVIA
Ah, not much.. just a little football near the end;
HEJA SVERIGE!!

ASTERIX
But I think now I'll retreat to my room and read my french Asterix and
Obelix cartoons.
It's hard to understand, but when you do; it's even more fun.

Wish my sister a happy happy birthday!

"Take her to dinner, use her boyfriend's money"
                           why Stuart? Why?

                             Anders

Ps. Could someone please tell me the answers to these questions:
    1) What is a "doozer"?
    2) Why isn't the word "doozer" in my dictionary?
    3) What's your favourite colour?
    Answer #1 anyway.
PPs. Come on! It's boring not to get mails from you! Get yourself together!