Sinister: Tiny cucumber sandwiches, made by Emily

Mark Hester mark_e_hester at xxx.com
Wed Jun 30 11:02:48 BST 2004

Hello everyone,

There have been murmurs recently of how sinister is a lot quieter than it
used to be.  I, too have noticed this.  I am saddened by it, although I
think I appreciate some of the reasons for it.  I don't think it has
anything to do with Belle and Sebastian's records or gigs.  They are as
great as ever.  I think it has more to do with the fact that the novelty of
the internet has worn off.  All the people who used to post to sinister are
now getting calluses on their thumbs from repeatedly texting each other.
One day soon, people will be complaining that no-one ever sends them text
messages anymore,  and that it's all been superseded by this new-fangled ESP
messaging transmitted directly from brain to brain.

I will be going to the Somerset House gig on the Sunday, so would very much
like to know who else will be.  We must arrange a meet-up.  Possibly we can
just copy the people who arrange the (possibly bigger) meet-up on the
Saturday, or we could be original.  I believe that some of the pubs in that
area close in the evenings at weekends, as no-one much lives round there, so
we must be careful.  Anyway, I received a postcard a couple of days ago to
say that the start time for both gigs has been brought forward from 8 until
7.  It apologised for any inconvenience this may cause, which was nice.

I shall be braving the worst that a tube strike can bring and heading off to
the Freaky Trigger club nite tonight at the Chapel, Islington and then (what
bad planning is this?) going back to London tomorrow for work related stuff.
  Before I leave Oxford tomorrow, I am going on a course at our other office
(i.e., the one I don't work in) which is on the corner of a street called
Marston Street.  Are you familiar with the song "Escort Crash on Marston
Street" by Heavenly?  Well, it's the same Marston Street.  Are there any
songs about streets in your home town?  If so, why don't you post about
them?  I'd like to know....

I have to admit to being a bit of a philistine - I am far more familiar with
the song "Picture of Dorian Gray" by Television Personalities than I am with
the book.  I don't think "Slow Graffiti" was influenced by the song tho.

Mark.