Sinister: descriptive essay, 100 words

Kevin Hyde kmhyde at xxx.edu
Wed Mar 3 03:53:58 GMT 2004

Hello: Sinisterines and Sinisterettes-

Good god, it's been a long time. I think I'm required to say that when
returning after such an absence. I decided to post again after
mis-reading Ken Chu's subject line as 'I'm a bonobo', which, if anyone
is familiar with the habits of those particular old world monkeys, would
be kind of a strange admission on K.C.'s part. I was relieved to find
out that his post contained no references to genital-swelling or
fruit-aided self-pleasuring (two things which I naturally associate with
B&S anyway).

So. News-news. I recently managed to download a new copy of '(My Girl's
Got) Miraculous Technique', which I still think is one of the best
things they've ever done, and which I hope they will record sometime in
the near future, and not relegate to holy-grail status like 'Rhoda'.
Miraculous Technique may have one of the most progressive beats that B&S
have ever put to tape, and I think I like it for that reason primarily,
but also for the fact that Stuart says 'snake into your room and be with
you the whole night long'- it's just a weird juxtaposition of the
vaguely creepy and the romantic.

Unlike Other Kevin (jackflaps) I haven't yet gotten Fans Only, but
someone at the record store accosted me with a copy the other day and
said that I had to, just had to purchase and watch the DVD, because it
would change my life. Not that I doubt B&S's reformative abilities, but
I get a little freaked-out by rabid salespeople, and *that*, in
conjunction with the fact that this record-store-girl was towering over
me by about 6 inches and sort of brandishing the DVD much like some of
your harder-core religious types will death-grip and point to the Bible,
made me wince and recoil, and decide that it would be much better and
somehow less shameful to just order the DVD from an online place, or
maybe even wear a disguise to the record store, a la the classic
'bashful pervert in an adult bookstore' trope, featured so prominently
in so many Charlie Chaplin comedies [this sentence = most commas ever].
Or I could be thinking of something else...

Anythough, I'm looking to leave this state sometime soon. With any luck,
I'll be back in school come September, afflicting other grad school
art-peeps with my harsh and unyielding prose. And, of course, reading
and listening to their writing, which, I won't lie to you, I find the
prospect of that incredibly frightening. I'd hate to offer criticism of
someone's work only to have them tell me that 'oh, hey yeah pal, despite
what YOU might think, that actually happened to me- my father
spontaneously combusted on the couch beside me, leaving me, my brother,
and our dog to fend for ourselves and live off of lollipops and potato
chips for three weeks while his remains slowly condensed into a milky
sediment on every smooth surface in the house.'
Ah-ha. You can see where that would be a problem.

Quick recommendations:

Sufjan Stevens- Seven Swans. This album is unstoppably good, and worth
buying for the title track alone. I'm not usually into polyrhythmic
Jesus-folk, but ho boy, this is just that good, and maybe has one of the
weirder titled songs (outside of the Liars album) I've seen this year:
All the trees of the field will clap their hands.

Hot dogs. I had forgotten how nice they can taste, when done properly
and when not composed primarily of exotic ungulates.

Diamonds: Taste great on toast, surprisingly enough.

Hope you're all doing well-

Riddled with bad luck,

Kevin