Sinister: wrapped-up in a wrapped-up book!

Hugo Johan <12813249 at xxx.za> Hugo Johan <12813249 at xxx.za>
Thu Mar 4 18:24:57 GMT 2004

hi there all!

yes, it's been a while (seeing as i'm sure you haven't noticed, i thought it necessary to say that!) but i'm back! (for now!) (ah, vague bells are ringing now, aren't they? didn't there used to be a boy who used more parentheses [of various types] than you could shake a stick at?) {yes, there did!}

anyway, what have i been doing? recently, getting my heart broken etc, but that's not what i'm writing to tell about.
no, it's because i've got <GASP!> content!
yes, something actually to do with belle & sebastian, though not our beloved boys and girl. "quoi?" you say, but the sharper among you might remember that back in the mists of time, there used to ANOTHER belle & sebastian, to wit, a young boy and his pyrenees mountain dog!  and guess what? i've got it! there's this friend of mine who lives in paris, and when i went to visit her, i got her to take me all around the second-hand book-stalls looking for it, but "peine perdue". and then, yesterday, i got it in the post, from her - a vintage edition from 1965, but almost pristine! (would that be the first edition, anyone?)
anyway, so, despite my very halting french, i finished it earlier ce soir (okay, i'm doing the french schtick a little thick, aren't i? but i've been going completely francophile again: it's just been air, francoise hardy, cyann and ben and the extremely cute b&s serge gainsbourg cover from a frrrrrench radio-session that the lovely anna higgins sent me on a wonderful mix - hear isobel singing all aggressively, and then trying to apologise for her french afterwards, while being completely ignored by the dj! i'm even working on descartes at the moment!) and it's really really lovely! (easy to read too - after all, it's a children's book!)
already on page 3, they mention a fox! and "belle" is blonde, and huge, and keeps wagging her tail! sebastian is scrawny and vulnerable, but okay, he's only 6 years old and has black hair.

okay, i THINK that counts as content! so then i hope i'm entitled to add that i think you should all check out the february 29th project on http://www.friendsoftheheroes.co.uk. there's been some really nice entries (i would say "lovely", but a quick review of the above has convinced me that i've rather overused that already!). and we're still looking for people to contribute - that means YOU! go on, be a sport!

oh well, back into my (fox)hole! but before i go: i'm so impressed by the amount of musical activity happening with you all! good luck to everyone with a band! and those travelling too! enjoy, and go safely! (amy, i'll write you soon, but i love your travelogues! and such a cute ?lion?!)

love

JohaN

ps. rener, i'm not sure if you got my mail thanking you for your xmas present, but if not: thank you again very much!