Sinister: Pic-er-nicking

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Tue Mar 30 11:40:19 BST 2004

Hello Sinister.

<<de-lurk>>

Well I was thinking about pic-er-nics, and about York, and then Tripney beat
me to it - it was a fine idea, young fellow/fellowess (who are you, btw?
Reveal yourself!). SO! I propose a Sinister Northern Picnic, York being the
ideal spot to hold such an event. And, even though I've been a lurker even
within the York Sinister Massiv of late (for which I sincerely apologise),
I'll be your mummy, if you like that kinda thing. Here's the plan. Feel free
to tell me to change date/time etc - I'm a suggestible character.

WHERE: outside the front of the Minster, York (then moving onto Museum
Gardens). I reckon this is good because it's easy for non-Uni people to get
to (hint: non/ex-York people very much welcome), and is in the close
proximity of Nice Pubs in case it rains.
WHEN: 2pm, Saturday 24th April (or Saturday wk 1 for the Uni contingent)
ME: tall, lanky, glasses, a feast of delights inside my bag. Mobile
07793711306
YOU: laden with boooooze and other picnic accessories, wearing upside-down
badge for ID purposes.

Sound like a sound plan? Let me know.

I can't really think of much to report on really. I guess we all run out of
things to say eventually. I went to see Lambchop on Saturday night. They
were rather gorgeous. Support was in the form of Camera Obscura, who were
pretty good. Not as good as the 'chop though, for sure.

I take it that a small section of this listen would have heard the last ever
Mark & Lard on Friday? Belle & Sebastian were on it, singing a pastiche of
Seymour Stein. I went

Mark and Lard
Oh how we'll miss you
On Radio 1
You say you've got a promotion

Our thoughts are far away
We remembered the day
You first played our tune
And now we are minted

Mark and Lard (repeat to fade)

It warmed my heart, because M&L was the first place I heard B&S. The final
show was generally a sad event though - I might have cried if I wasn't a)
apparently incapable of doing so (nothing seems to make me cry, even when I
want to, rather annoyingly) b) laughing incontrollably for the most part.

Inspired by Vilkas' post, I listened to Beck's Midnite Vultures yesterday,
and I was forced to conclude that it is one of my favourite records of all
time. And that thought inspired me to make a list of all the records I own
that would warrant five stars in the fictitious Asm Magazine.
Unsurprisingly, I came up with about 80 of the little blighters. After much
pointless pontificating, I managed to narrow it down to about 20, but
realised what an inconsequential task I'd set myself so I gave up. Still, 20
is fair enough though, doncha think?

Anyway, let me know about the picnic.

love

Asm.x