Sinister: PEEL

jim taylor purpletrousers at xxx.com
Wed Nov 10 03:31:39 GMT 2004

So Peel is dead. So many words from so many in tribute, so much love for the
man most of us never spoke to.

I'm planning a wee gathering sometime to watch my 'Harder They Come' DVD
with take away curry and red wine. I think he'd approve.

I'm still kind of hoping for an Ian Anscombe obituary, cos he writes better
than me, but I may be waiting in vain.
And he is a very busy man these day's dontcha know.

Acknowledging I've probably said half of this before, but, I was lucky to
hear 'The State I'm In' on my mate Damon's radio at the end of 1996. Peels
Festive Fifty. I was walking past in the hall and came over all a quiver.
Working out well it's not Donovan voice, it's not so-and-so etc, then
finding it was this 'Belle & Sebastian'. The very end of the year as it
happens, new years eve I think, and went out to Berwick Street and bought
Sinister an hour or two later, foisting it upon my mate Cassie that evening.
If I hadn't heard that then, I guess I'd have got into them sometime, but I
imagine I'm not alone in savouring my "who's voice is that?" Murdoch moment.
Peel brought me mine, and I suppose it was very literally life changing. Not
quite in the same way as my University being selected on the basis of an
open day in London meaning I could get to a gig, but... good friends, visits
to new cities and foreign lands, the closest of relationships have shared a
love of B&S...

#28 in 1996 was the entry. sigh. and of course the same song was picked by
Peelie to represent the year in his mighty Peelenium, bless him :)
http://www.rocklist.net/festive50.htm will take you to the lists if you
fancy a bit of F50 perusing.

It's funny searching back through the archives. check out September 1997's
'Peel is an old git' debate. There's some (if unintentionally) entertaining
comments. I just discovered how to search so it showed old stuff first.
http://www.missprint.org/sinister/mhonarc/199711/msg00148.html reports
Peelie's copy of tigermilk for the register I vaguely remember being
organised... so did he play em before Radcliffe? and the fact that it was
debated!

Peel. bless him. waking up earlier than I planned on a Saturday to be
soothed/smile listening to Home Truths can never be the same.
A bit like Elliot Smith, deeply loved but under listened when he was still
around. sigh.

I'm itching for the chickfactor gig days to be announced as I can't really
miss my work Christmas curry on the Friday :(
ah well, team building important and all that, especially when you're lucky
enough to have a team you like.

erm there's a lot of stuff I could ramble about. blimey it's been an
interesting year. and there's plenty of it left too.

well wishes to a good friend who should read this.

jim x

currently listening to Jeffrey Lewis 'the history of US Punk' (9mintues
41...nice) [on Tangents online radio :) ]