Sinister: the wages of sin are quite reasonable I assure you

owen lowery o-lowery at xxx.com
Tue Oct 5 14:36:21 BST 2004

Well hello there my sinister chums

I'm bored at work and thought I'd try posting, not sure if
this is going to work as I haven't been receiving all of
your posts lately, I'm suffering from sporadic sinister
service syndrome or something.

I was thinking the other day about an old teacher of mine
who was a good Christian (oxymoron anybody?), he always
used to say that if somebody burst into the room with a
machine gun and threatened to kill him if he didn't
denounce his faith then he hoped he would have the strength
to tell the truth and acceptept being murdered.
This got me wondering if there was any belief that I would
rather stand up for and die rather than denouncing. Quite
frankly there isn't, either I'm a coward or I just don't
value my beliefs enough. Luckily I'm morally weak enough to
not be bothered about this character flaw.
Then a really scary thought struck me
What if the gunman burst in and said he would kill me if I
didn't let him leave with either my record collection or
all of my books. Now the question gets interesting, no
longer is it a life balanced against something as flimsy as
a belief, but, two things vital to my continued happiness
balanced against each other. How do you balance a life
without Joy Division and B&S with a life without Ray Carver
and Haruki Murakami?
Can he not just take my girlfriend instead?
In the end I suppose I would have to keep music and wave
goodbye to literature, in the final analysis nothing I've
read can move me as much as Love's Alone Again Or and
nothing will mean as much to me as B&S's Expectations.
I guess that that's why every now and then I delurk and
write to you lot rather than a site for people who consider
Haruki Murakami to be the greatest living writer
(incidentally, in my humble opinion, he is).
I guess that that's why you guys get to put up with my
rubbish (or at least have to delete it) and I guess that
one of the reasons that you do put up with posts like this
is that you wouldn't be on sinister if music didn't mean so
much to you too.
So here's to music, we don't value it more than life, but I
wouldn't give it up for any amount of money.

love'n'hugs to all
the poster formerly known as the narrow wizard

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens

(William Carlos Williams)

Care2 Mail is new and improved - 100MB free storage!
http://www.care2.com/go/z/100MB