Sinister: My favourite abbreviations

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Thu Oct 14 15:16:40 BST 2004

As Jarvis once helpfully explained, Cocker is short for "A sucker of cock".
Apart from this, my favourite abbreviations are:

flu which is short for "influenza"
pram, which is short for "perambulator"
and soccer, which is short for "association football"

I like it when people add all of the abbreviation marks into words that no
one else does anymore. Occasionally I'll receive correspondence at Stout
Towers in which someone tells me how they 'phoned the 'bus company 'cause it
was late, or some such, and I'll get excited about all of the completely
unnecessary apostrophes that they've scattered all over. The other day I
received a document from the inventor of a television aerial, and whenever
he referred to a television he called it a "TeleVision", including quote
marks, as if this was some wonderful new word that he'd coined last Tuesday
instead of in 1908. This also made me unfeasably happy.

I saw someone in our car park here at work the other day who was wearing an
"I'm a B&S Bookworm" t-shirt. I imagine he must have been wearing it all
day. I stared at him somewhat, mostly in shock, and he looked quite scared
like i might murder him.

I'm not so sure about "fall", but my favourite season is autumn. It's a
treat being able to wear your hat, gloves and long coat while the sky is
still clear and blue. People always look so much better dressed in their
winter clothes, I think.

Robinx