Sinister: I don't want to play foosball

kenneth.chu at xxx.org kenneth.chu at xxx.org
Fri Oct 15 17:10:36 BST 2004

Hi dere!

Whoosh!  Look it's October already!  Time flies, doesn't it?  Even when it
isn't May.

Writing from my work is always fun, because the view outside never really
changes, it's just a courtyard and all you can see are reflecting office
windows and a big tall new hospital that's almost completely built.  There's
a gap of sky through where you can see clouds and the occasional aeroplane
flying by.  Seeing an climbing plane always fills me with thoughts and I'd
always imagine each one of them to be flying to somewhere really far away
over oceans and land and a couple of thousand houses, and that half a day
later this plane in front of me is going to be the other side of the world.
It's kind of exciting but also kind of sad.

The view from land to plane is nowhere near as exciting as from plane to
land, though.  There was this one time I think I was on a plane that was
flying above Siberia, and I looked down even from that high up you can see a
lot of details on the ground that you try and make out as roads or trains or
rivers or a little house.  I never really know whether I got it right or
not.  But I always wish it was actually possible to just get ejected from
the plane then and I can parachute down to have a look, and then get picked
up by a helicopter when I get bored of it.  I think the closest I got to any
kind of wilderness was on some roadtrip to Ben Nevis, which isn't really
that wilder, and I didn't even climb it.

I went to stay in this small town called Drumnadrochit, by Loch Ness.  I was
doing to trying to find the monster thing, without realising that Loch Ness
was bigger than a Hassid's beard.  That place was nice though.  I told a
walk into the woods there, and the locals told me that there were foxes.  I
didn't see any though.  I saw a lot of highland cows instead, I think they
tried to attack me.  It snowed, and I wrote "Fox in the snow" on the ground.
I tried to take a picture but the picture turned up really crap because of
bad lights.  Frozen fingers all for nothing.

----

That's what I meant, I always derail to different things when I write from
work, even though the view is exactly the same.

Does anyone know of a band called the Dance Hall Crashers?  I searched the
archives and it was only mentioned once, right next to the word "Belle and
Sebastian", in fact, for a flyer for a club.  They have a song called Whisky
and Gin.. I have never heard them.  They are from California, yet they drink
Whisky.  Lloyd Cole and the Commotions also once sang about Whiskey and Gin,
too.  They drink Whiskey.  Does anyone know of this band called Lloyd Cole
and the Commotions?

There are others, too.  A band called Pasty White, whose website is titled
"Pure Original Rock Music", also have a song called "Whiskey and gin".  The
lyrics of the song went

"I sip my whiskey and I drink my gin
I'm never coming down again"

So they copied B+S, and also The Verve, and combined it in one song.  That
itself is an original concept, I suppose.  Theirs is "Whiskey" too, with an
e, perhaps they sip their whisky and they take their e.

I could go on, but last but not least.. There's country singer Catherine
Britt, who drinks whiskey and gin to wash her pain away of having to listen
to merle in her hit single "Hillbilly Pickin' Rambling Girl".  See here for
more http://www.catherinebritt.com.  Apparently she duetted with Sir Elton
John!  I'm proud of her, and it's so good to see that the superstardom
doesn't mean that she had deserted her country roots.

That's it that's it that's it
Ken

This email is confidential and intended solely for the person or entity to whom it is addressed.  If this email was not intended for you please notify the UCLH Mail Administrator at mail.administrator at uclh.org.
This footnote confirms that the email and attachments contained no viruses when they left UCLH.