Sinister: Bad sad news

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Wed Oct 27 07:53:04 BST 2004

"A great man is dead. The news shocked. So young - well, 65 is not quite
young even now: but it needn't be a dying age in the millennial developed
world."

These, dear Sinister, were the words (albeit with the age changed) of the
Pinefox, 22 months ago, when writing his wonderful obituary of Joe Strummer.
They still ring true today, but with a different man.

To a few people John Peel wasn't necessarily a favourite DJ, largely due to
his frequent and uncompromising penchant for submitting them to a record
that would never find a place in anybody's ears, let alone mine. However I
returned to him more than I ever did to anybody else. Fads and personalities
came and went, Peel remained – he was a cornerstone of my musical education.
And for all those 20-second Japanese noise-core bursts of feedback or
impenetrable glitchtro workouts ("rather good, I think you'll agree" was
normally the growly description, and one to which I often came to concur)
there was a guarantee of stone cold brilliance at a far more frequent
interval than during any other programme you'll ever hear.

My overwhelming feeling tonight is one of guilt and regret for all those
times I never listened.

The clichés were of Peel’s unmistakable voice as the nation’s favourite old
sweater or much-loved uncle, as a universal source of fondness shared by
all. I can do a mean Peel impression, and indeed the vocal delivery by
Messrs Radcliffe, Lamacq and the like owes much to the great man, who seemed
to be the first to um and ah whilst being equally equipped with a killer
turn of phrase.

But the fact remained that while every competitor's failings eventually
irritated, Peel's foibles became the very things I adored about his
programme, and the trademark that kept me tuning in. He enticed listeners to
his endure his butchered pronunciation of a German techno groups, or to
abide one more seven inch played at 33rpm – “John would’ve liked a minute’s
silence but he'd probably have played it at the wrong speed” somebody
suggested on the Radio 1 tribute tonight.

He was scratchy and unpolished – a fact that he frequently and genuinely
lamented, but which made him irreplaceable to me. When he spoke into a
microphone, he was speaking to me, individually, with all the nervous
inflection that inevitably comes with telling somebody about a newfound
love, and I felt almost honour-bound to embrace his choices. He was not a
musician, but reminiscing over the greats of 20th century music - yes that
includes Lennon, Presley, Rotten et al – I can’t name anyone who has altered
my musical taste more, directly or not. He was an innovator and an explorer,
and his death leaves me wondering what uncharted waters he has left
permanently unmapped. In today’s radio schedules there is simply no space
for a programme as frankly random as The John Peel Wing Ding, and without
him there will be nobody to enforce its existence.

John Peel was not my favourite DJ, but there is no other of whom I am
fonder. Stronger, deeper fans will pay more attentive tributes, but I’m
afraid I listened to Mark & Lard more religiously, or the Evening Session,
or latterly the Breezeblock and Worldwide. Strip that all away though, and
Peel was always there and always reliable; he was the best and most
dependable DJ I will ever hear, and for that I am truly thankful.