Sinister: re: RIP Peel

Gillian Kirby the_sad_witch at xxx.com
Thu Oct 28 00:35:32 BST 2004

This just brought tears to my eyes, despite all the
kids runnign
around the library looking for Harry Potter:

>" And his strong sense of right and wrong, his hatred
for bullies and charlatans and his humanity shone
through all his work and came through the radio with
every word and every record he played.

The Monday evening show the weekend after the
Hillsborough tragedy was a piece of broadcasting I'll
never forget.

He said nothing at the start of his show. He just
played a record. A long slow record. It was Aretha
Franklin's heart breaking gospel version of You'll
Never Walk Alone.

I looked through the glass from my adjacent studio and
John was just weeping. Silently. So were all of us -
his listeners. Nothing more needed to be said. " (from
the R1 website)

> I feel sorry for the listeners of the future who'll
never get to hear
the glorious music that made my teenage years
bearable.

> Love and it's on the wrong speed...
>
> -Gillian

=====
"Well that was the best song I've heard since...well, tea time. Mind you, I had a late tea." - John Peel, 1985

Take off that unbecoming frown: www.livejournal.com/users/mippy