Sinister: happy new year!

marisa stroud charismarisa at xxx.ca
Wed Sep 1 10:28:41 BST 2004

I haven't heard from you lately,
I don't take it lightly:
Please try to keep in touch.
I know that you're really busy,
You're really just slightly too late
And it may be too much to ask.
I'll ask you politely:
I want a letter or a love song.

...and there's more to the song, but Joel always kinda
mumbles it and, well, I think we all get the idea.

(incidentally, Joel is not "the other man" in my
life...frontman, that is...that honour belongs to His
Rockkickingness Chris Murphy of Sloan...it's been ten
years now, and I can still identify him from a
distance by his ass. You don't forget the celebrity
asses you accidentally-on-purpose squeeze in your
youth...and I'd just like to point out here that even
though I've had multiple opportunities to squeeze Stu,
Stevie AND Bob's respective asses, I have refrained.
I'd like to think this points to some maturity I've
developed in the last few years, but I think we all
know it was just that I'd only had the one beer at the
time and then couldn't really find them again)

Personally, I lay the blame for Sinister's recent
(almost...cept for Our Kid Astrid) unbroken radio
silence on the Southern Hemisphere. They should see
it's their time to shine while us northies are busy
with the start of the REAL New Year...September.

*gasp*!!

Up here (Canadiashireland) some of the leaves have
juuuuuust started to turn. The summer has been pretty
cool (which was fine by me!) so I kind of hope the
trees will get a chance to show themselves off to full
advantage before the big ol nasty wind comes along and
BLOWS them the crap off the branches while they're
still green (not that I'm still bitter about the
Autumn of 2002...when I'd missed the previous autumn
and was planning to also be away for the next one...oh
no. by which I mean...yes). Anyway, no matter what the
greeting cards tell you, this is the Start Of The New
Year. It's hard to break the long habits of youth, and
one that I think will always be around for me, whether
I'm in school or not, is the notion that September is
a new beginning.

While I'm in this hemisphere, anyway.

I've still got a few weeks left to listen to DCW
without all that crazy weather-induced cognitive
dissonance, but I'm looking forward to bringing
Underachievers... out of mothballs again for the end
of October onwards. Also, I think I've misplaced it,
so the remaining sunny days give me some much-needed
time to look for it.

Anticipated Soundtrack Of My Autumn:

Underachievers..., for mood music

Twice Removed (by Sloan), for nostalgia

I'm Waking Up To Us, for singalongs, and perhaps some
more softshoe-in-the-kitchen

Pet Sounds, for conversation

Satanic Panic in the Attic (by Of Montreal), for the
sillies

Franz Ferdinand, for pre-drinking fun

and Julie Doiron (in general), for contemplative rainy
afternoons with a cup of tea

This summer I think I spent nearly half my wages on
music, so the soundtrack of the next year will be
varied and, I hope, interesting to folk I meet.

cause

I'm going back

to uni

and living in