Sinister: hello!

kevin jackflaps jackflaps at xxx.com
Wed Sep 15 03:40:01 BST 2004

A while back I was thinking to myself, "Wait a second!  The Mets
started playing Mike Piazza at first base, and now he's hurt all the
time.  Now the song is out of date, because he isn't a catcher at
all!"  Then I was going to post about it, but I realised that they'd
taken away my old e-mail address and I had no way of writing something
about it here, which was too bad because I thought I was really clever
for thinking of it.  Now it's three months later and someone has
almost certainly pointed that discrepancy out.  Curse my indolence!

But anyway, hello again.  I've been meaning to write for a while, but
haven't gotten round to getting a new account or remembering I was
going to point out the Piazza thing.  I moved to North Carolina; now
I'm in library school, along with about half the list, it seems like.
We should all have a get-together sometime.  I'm trying to get used to
living in the south; I'm definitely noticing that I'm younger than
everyone else in school and I'm the one with the weird accent, not
everyone else.  It's too bad that I have to be self-conscious about
sounding like I'm from Wisconsin, but that's how it goes.  There are
also too many hills here, and I kind of miss Minneapolis, but that
will change once it's November and not snowing out already.

In the meantime I am living without a radio show for the first time
since I was about fifteen, which has left a void in my life.  Maybe
I'll get one in the winter; this will give me time to buy records and
figure out how to DJ again, because I'll certainly have forgotten
after seven months away from it.  Also we keep getting hit by tropical
storms, which is totally new to me.  I can't figure out why people get
so excited about a little rain; that's all it ever is here anyway.  I
mean, we got that in Minnesota all the time.

I like the idea of telling a story about the best injury that's
happened to someone, so I'll tell you about mine.  We were playing
broomball, which is like hockey but with a little orange soccer ball
and without ice skates, and I got into a collision with someone and
fell face-first onto the ice.  I guess I hit a jagged patch, because a
few minutes later I realised I was bleeding and probably shouldn't be
playing broomball anymore.  At the time I didn't think it was too bad,
so I just got a band-aid and went back out (although I didn't play any
more that game.)  Turned out I needed seven stitches.  Go figure.

I think that's about it.

-kevin