Sinister: i fought in a war

Mike Newman mike at xxx.uk
Fri Sep 17 07:44:36 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 11:31 +1000, David Hewitt wrote:

> Dancing. I was in
> plaster for three months. "Ouch! That looks nasty, mate. How'd you get
> that?" "Er... Dancing." Not very cool.

David's story sounds more painful than mine, but having to explain my
injury was pretty awful...

We went to the Chippenham Folk Festival - basically just a weekend when
there is some kind of music in all the (many) pubs in that town, but the
organisers wanted to charge 60 quid to camp on a piece of common land
which on any other day of the year is a public park/dog toilet. No fear,
said we. So we sneaked into the site over a river bridge and camped on
the fringe of the park. Problem was, the Folk Fascist organisers were
actually guarding the toilet block, and asking for passes. So, we had
resorted to creeping under the bridge to do our necessaries. On the
first morning I rose blearily from my tent - everyone else had gone off
to buy provisions. I wandered over to the river and under the bridge. It
had become very slippery under there obviously! One moment I was
standing up, the next lying face down wondering what to do now. My arm
didn't so much hurt as feel very very odd, like it wasn't mine anymore.
I had to use the injured limb to haul myself up from the ground - my one
moment of endurance and bravery in 31 years!

So, my embarrassing injury - I broke my arm slipping over in a puddle of
pee at a folk festival.

M.