Sinister: Lovely Day

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Sat Sep 18 12:25:11 BST 2004

Hello Sinister.

There’s something magical about hearing a song on the radio, don’t you
think? Sure, it’s not an original thought, but it’s one that cropped up in
my head the other day. I’ll tell you the story, see if you agree.

There’s a dreadful rehash of Bill Withers’ Lovely Day going around the radio
at the moment, with some fool rapping over the top. Believe me Sinister,
it’s appalling. For the most part though, it’s Lovely Day – the
dum-da-dim-dum-da-dum bass, those swooping strings, you know the bit I mean.
In fact, it’s exactly the same song, but Withers’ exceptional vocal line is
replaced by some opportunist clown in sportswear.

I’m really fond of Withers, maybe embarrassingly. For his vintage he really
did appear to have a good repertoire, although I claim to have no expertise
in the field (my knowledge of 70s soul and Motown is weak even if my passion
is larger). But expertise or no, you can’t knock a guy who has several
household tunes to his name; even if you don’t know them, you could surely
sing along to Grandma’s Hands, Ain’t No Sunshine, Lean On Me, Who Is He And
What Is He To You, Soul Shadows et al.

Lovely Day though, it seems, is his magnum opus. The biggie. The
money-maker, and rightly so – it’s a killer melody with a beautifully naïve
sentiment, and a wonderfully soulful vocal delivery. Sure, it’s a little
cheesy, but it hits the spot for me.

So it’s understandable then that when I heard this ghastly hip-pop rip-off
(with an opening couplet of “I’ve got my mind on my money, money on my
mind”. Exactly) I reached for my dusty copy of Withers’ Greatest Hits, just
to remind myself of the original. True to form, Lovely Day sounded great and
I was humming it all through last weekend’s sundrenched weekend.

But here’s where the bit about the radio comes in. A man with sense on BBC
London decided he’d play Withers’ original on Sunday afternoon, and suddenly
my aural enjoyment of the song was an altogether more satisfying experience.
The intro kicked in unexpectedly and lit up my face as the presenter
introduced the record, as if entering a darkened room only to be greeted by
your closest friends screaming “SURPRISE!”. I wasn’t anticipating any
qualitative difference between it playing from a CD or from a tuner, but
then Withers began to croon. Although it might’ve been imagined, the slight
crackle from the dodgy signal and FM compression also made the song that
much more lovable.

As that final drawn-out, nigh-on untenable “daaaaaaaay” faded out, back in
came the presenter, with every bone in his face audibly lifted by Withers’
effort, and the whole 4-minute occurrence reminded me of how essential radio
is, not just for finding new stuff but reminding you, in a way that a CD
can't, of bygone tunes. It’s been a week since that programme, and I’m still
listening to Lovely Day as I type.

Love,

Asm.x

P.S. And for worst injury, see here (last paragraph):
http://www.missprint.org/sinister/mhonarc/200107/msg00225.html