Sinister: Asleep on a Jim Beam

kenneth.chu at xxx.uk kenneth.chu at xxx.uk
Mon Apr 11 10:30:57 BST 2005

Hi Everyone!

I think it's very nice that people have been writing in to introduce
themselves on the list, and thought I'd join in!

My name is Ken and I like Belle and Sebastian.  I was really naughty when I
was younger, which explains why I started downloading illegal MP3s, and
during one of these acts of theft I found this "Get me away from here, I'm
dying" song, which was when I had first heard this band.

It was strange that I had downloaded that particular song, because I was
actually feeling really chirpy that day.  But by the end of the song I was
making really camp hand gestures, and singing along "oooh get me away I'm
diane, get me away I'm diane.. get me awayyy I'm dianneeeee" and fantasised
about being the Princess of Wales, and wondered whenever did I form enough
of an impression on Paul Anka for him to fall so madly in love with me.

Nonetheless, over time I grew less gay, and had listened to more songs by
B+S.  I managed to download about 6 other songs from that "If You're Feeling
Sinister" album, and listened to them a lot.  Five months later I finally
drove away the guy living at the next room at my university flat with my
singing along. when he left it was during the Easter break and he may or may
not have deliberately left the bin unemptied so that when I got back, the
whole flat was filled with flies, and I had to kill all of them with my bare
hands, plus a rolled up magazine.  I had a kill count of 139 flies, and I
had to stop listening to Mayfly for a few weeks.

And then, a few months later I spent New Years Eve in London.  It was a lot
of fun but the next day there were no trains going back home, so I ended up
stuck at my friend's brother's flat.  With my friend in deep sleep until 4pm
the following morning, I ended up listening to almost the whole back
catalogue of B+S that his brother had in the CD rack.  I listened to
Tigermilk, and all the EPs.  To this date I am still very fond of that day I
spent alone with B+S.

Then I went to see Belle and Sebastian live for the first time, the
following summer, in Glasgow.  Everything went right that Friday, I found
out my University degree result that day, and it was perfect, and I met many
people for the first time from this Sinister list, many of whom I still talk
to a lot.  And after finally getting my ticket, I got to see Belle and
Sebastian, alive, in the flesh, out of the flesh, singing there on the
stage.  I immediately turned gay again and let out a little tear.  Actually
I cried my eyes out.  Half of the tears were really just over a girl from
University, so I guess it wasn't really all that gay, but you know.

A few years later, a few more Belle and Sebastian gigs came and went, not
much have happened since really, although I feel older, and less naive,
sometimes.  Also I played football with Stuart Murdoch once and I scored a
goal past him!!  Go me!

That's all.
Ken

P.s. Barak Netzerel asked

> Who sings on:
>
> Lazy Line Paint Jane (apart from Stuart..)
> Chickfactor / Seymour Stein
> Asleep On A Sunbeam / Beyond The Sunrise / Is It Wicked Not To Care?
>
> Is it Stevie & Sarah all around, or am I getting it completely wrong?

Well, as far as I know, Stevie sings in Chickfactor, and Seymour Stein.
Sarah sings in Asleep On A Sunbeam.  And I think they wrote those songs
themselves.

A former member called Isobel Campbell sings in "Is It Wicked Not To Care",
she was also the mastermind behind the superb "Beyond The Sunrise" which
took experimental music to another, more mystrious, level.  (Stevie was the
voice of that guy who was just about to have a wank in that song)

The female parts of Lazy Line Painter Jane was sung by the lovely Monica
Queen, who was in a band called Thrum.  She punches a lot on stage, I like
her.

Hope this helps!

This email is confidential and intended solely for the person or entity to whom it is addressed.  If this email was not intended for you please notify the UCLH Mail Administrator at mail.administrator at uclh.org.
This footnote confirms that the email and attachments contained no viruses when they left UCLH.