Sinister: Stuart and ME

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Sat Aug 20 19:00:16 BST 2005

No, not "Stuart and me", "Stuart and ME": an article by Paul
Whitelaw in the Scotsman, what wrote that book.  Possibly it's an
extract or condensed Reader's Digest version.

http://news.scotsman.com/features.cfm?id=1811622005

Obviously I have an interest to declare as I've had the same thing
for 12 years, and our pal Ciara MacLaverty, the cover star of Feeling
Sinister has for longer.  If you don't have ME, you're just not hip.
Calling it CFS just isn't where it's at, but if you're not in the UK,
that's what you might know the condition as.

It's not a fantastic description of ME - I'm currently in the biggest
relapse of my life, and wouldn't manage sitting at a piano for half
an hour just now as per the article.  In fact, we have a harmonium in
the front room, Ivor Cutler fans.  But it's broken, which is probably
a blessing, at least for cats and neighbours.  My favourite Ivor
Cutler song is probably "Sharks", which you need to hear.

Anyway, the other point of this mail is to test the list, because it's
having jitters.  I spent yesterday trying to figure out why, with
the admirable help of Sir Kenneth of Chu, who I have yet to thank.
I think I know why now, and it's due to the stupidity of my hosting
company for missprint.org, who've suddenly taken it upon themselves
to count anyone mailing to more than about 10 people at a time as a
spammer, with idiot new software what they wrote (I seem to be quoting
Morecambe and Wise today, which isn't a core symptom of ME - sorry).
Funnily enough, if you pay them a heck of a lot more money, they stop
counting you as a spammer.

I've put in a kind of part fix to fiendishly avoid the stupid block,
so I guess if you get this mail it might have worked.  Miss Print's
will probably just explode though, like Willy Wonka's lift.

So it looks like I will have to move missprint somewhere more friendly,
which brings in a whole lot of other difficulties.  Progress will
be slow.  In the meantime, please bear in mind that there may be
times when the occasional message will get through to the digest,
but not to the main list, and won't be listed in the archive until
I patch it up later.  I'm really sorry about this, and will fix it.
If you're on the main list and notice your own message didn't get
through, please feel free to resend, but wait 24 hours or more,
like Spacey Stacey did.  Digesters may have to put up with the odd
repeated message until I can summon up the energy to move the list.
But I'd rather be using it to write "We Rule The School", if I could.

Please don't be put off posting!  List membership number is a very
very mysterious thing, worthy of investigation by Institutes of
Parapsychology: it has remained constantly at near 1500 for about 5
years, much to my astonishment, and that's with me weaning out the
old addresses constantly.  So pipe up.

Honey x