Sinister: sum-sum-sum-sum-summertiiiime

Angela M. Smith angela.msmith at xxx.com
Sat Aug 27 02:36:45 BST 2005

I must say everyone's courageous non-lurking has been inspiring. I
don't feel like I should really give a backstory here, since no one
would remember anything I've posted, and I'm not a long lost Sinister
celebrity or anything. Ken Chu did sleep in my room once though, if
that counts as a brush with fame, which I believe it does.

Summer started early this year as a twinkle in my eye and a bounce in
my step, only a few weeks into spring. I was full of hopes and goals
and dreams of all the things I would accomplish this summer, all the
people I would meet, and all the free things that New York City has to
offer in the morbidly humid months. I seem to have blocked out the
fact that as soon as you walk out the door, you've spent $20 on
bottled water to keep the dehydration and heatstroke away, and you
just want to cry and stomp your feet because the subway car you got on
has no air-conditioning suddenly, and you're blinded by sweat. Okay,
so maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, and maybe I'm being a little
"glass half-empty" here, but deep down I'm really sad to see summer
dwindle away, all while feeling like I've been sitting in the house
for 2 months.

The 2 weeks before Labor Day (Sept. 5th) always seem rushed, like
you're trying to cram in all these activities at once. I just turned a
quarter of a century old, but I don't feel any different. Okay, so I
had a mini nervous breakdown about not knowing the direction of my
life, living in a city which is beyond my means, not knowing why I
stay here, but not being able to leave, etc.

 I'm super excited about the picnic in the Cloisters tomorrow, I will
be bringing super luscious cheese and bread, and I have to ponder on
the fact that I don't think I have red knickers. I might need to go
shopping!

 I wish we could have a huge picnic, sort of like a down south family
reunion in the forest preserve, and get t-shirts made with some cheesy
font and logo, but geography doesn't permit that.

 I love you all, and I've read every email that's ever been posted on
here in the 4(?) years I've subscribed. Even though I haven't
participated much, I plan to change that.

 angela