Sinister: Everything Goes Around The Water

Forest Pines wpsalt at xxx.com
Sat Aug 27 20:54:54 BST 2005

Well, well, well.

When I was younger, I used to wonder what it would be like to be all
grown-up.  I didn't realise, back then, that I'd never find out.  I
still feel like a small child inside.  I don't think this is ever going
to change.  I still love to bounce around the house to loud music, and
smirk at childish jokes.

Eight years ago, nearly, I was sitting in the computer lab on the
fourth floor of the University Library, with my then-current sexfriend,
searching the web for stuff on Belle & Sebastian.  I found a
recently-started mailing list, run from elsewhere in the university.  I
joined it.  I didn't stay on it continuously, but I've always come back
again.

Sinister has meant a lot to me, and so has #sinister.  It was somewhere
to retreat to when the said sexfriend turned into a mad harridan who
hated "that awful twee music".  It was somewhere to find friends, even
if I was the only list member who wasn't at it like rabbits at one
point or another.  Even though it doesn't feel like it, I *have* been
through a lot of changes in my life, and many of them are catalogued in
Sinister posts.  I've been back through some of those changes and
undone them; but I'm still a member of  Sinister and I still read it.
My life will change in the future in ways I can't even predict; and
maybe that will be catalogued on Sinister in the future too.

Right now, I know a lot of Sinisterines are meeting up, drinking,
celebrating and mourning.  And long may they continue to do so.  I'm
not - I'm sat at home listening to Stereolab, trying to sort out the
design of my new blog and keeping half an eye on #sinister.  It's the
first time I've been to #sinister for maybe a year or so, but somehow
it still feels as homely as it always did.  I'm trying to explain there
what's going on in my life at the moment: Random conversations in the
street, and getting back in touch with people I've known even longer
than *you*.  And I realise that as I'm typing, I'm quietly smiling.

We used to have the List Crush system.  Well, I've got a crush on the
entire list.  All of you, for all of the past eight years.  You've done
something wonderful along the way.

xx
fp

http://www.symbolicforest.com/