Sinister: Album releases in teh internets age

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Tue Dec 6 18:56:28 GMT 2005

Loved Ones,

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Eric Brasure wrote:
> I have already listened to the album, but I won't say anything more about it.

You know, now it's the 21st century and we're all riding around on
personal hovercrafts eating our food from plastic tubes IN SPACE,
I suspect we may want to reassess the previous consensual view of
Not Talking About New Albums that some felt very strongly about a few
years back.  Some really did, and were insistent we shouldn't until
release day so it became mailing list ethics not to.  How do people
feel about this now?  Looking at the file sharing networks for purely
research reasons, I suspect our grannies will all have mp3s of it
within a week or so and can't imagine people not wanting to blurt
out about how it sounds like Chicory Tip (oops) before February,
which feels like a world away.

I was thinking that maybe we could establish a spoiler subject
heading rule or something, so that those who cherished release day
could preserve their virginity.  As before, I'd be happy to follow the
majority view: I just think it may have changed.  What would Jesus do?
Let me know.

Just no links to illegal hosting of mp3s etc. please, as this puts
the list in jeopardy.

The music industry is likely to implode within the next few years
anyway, and the idea of release day may disappear for all but those
parts of it that can understand what a computer is and what sharing
your music freely does for sales in the long run.  Jane Siberry, who's
been releasing her music on her own label for aeons, because she's
not Britney, has recently announced a Self-Determined Pricing Policy:

https://www.sheeba.ca/store/payhow.php

in which you can pay anything or nothing to download her music.  I just
downloaded something today, was about to pick the "Pay Later If I Like
It" option, but then decided it was dishonest as I may not, so chose
the "Free Gift From Jane" option, expressing the view at checkout
that it's better to underestimate yourself and then be surprised if
you're a better person than you thought later.  And you know what?
She mailed me back directly, saying she was pleased and hoped I came
back "to download for free a lot" hoping I'd share the music on.
I must say, it makes me want to listen to Jane Siberry a lot again,
like I used to.

In other news, the archive's really broken, and as I got too ill again
to progress from the Sinister Bump Stage 2 to Stage 3 (i.e. actually
moving it), it's currently in limbo.  I'll either fix or move it soon
as I can, powered by popcorn.

Jim Muir's music is nice, and he wrote a super polite and cheery mail
to me first asking before posting if he could, so you should all go and
give him a listen.  Plus he's a doctor so is a useful friend to have
in the impending breakdown of society when the flu epidemic strikes.

I've re-read Peter Miller's mail 3 times and can't find any cheap
seaside innuendo or references to heavy metal.  What's up Peter?

Ken: "A Woman Needs A Fish": mp3 please.

Honey x