Sinister: The Blancmange Got A Little Sour

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Fri Dec 23 11:07:38 GMT 2005

Portora School

Darling Mama,

The hamper came today, I never got such a jolly
surprise, many thanks for it, it was more than kind of
you to think of it. The grapes and pears are delicious
and so cooling, but the blancmange got a little sour,
I suppose by the knocking about, but the rest came all
safe.
Don't forget please to send me the National Review, is
it not issued today?
The flannel shirts you sent in the hamper are both
Willie's, mine are one quite scarlet and the other
lilac, but it is too early to wear them yet, the
weather is so hot.
We went down to the horrid regatta on Thursday last.
It was very jolly. There was a yacht race.
You never told me anything about the publisher in
Glasgow. What does he say and have you written to Aunt
Warren on the green note paper?
We played the officers of the 27th Regiment now
stationed in Enniskillen, a few days ago and beat them
hollow by about seventy runs.
You may imagine my delight this morning when I got
Papa's letter saying he had sent a hamper.

[illustration: 'Ye delight of ye two boys at ye hamper
and ye sorrow of ye hamperless boy'.]

Now dear Mamma, I must bid you goodbye as the post
goes very soon. Many thanks for letting me paint. With
love to Papa, ever your affectionate son,

Oscar Wilde