Sinister: meeting people is easy.

Ann Foreyt ann_septimus at xxx.com
Sat Feb 5 10:23:17 GMT 2005

'allo, Sinister~

I never write... but now I feel compelled to ask for advice, for which I
hope you will forgive me.

This semester I have moved to Scotland from the States, to study at the Uni
of Glasgow (yay English and Scottish Lit!), and am rather in love.  This
city is wonderful, and while perhaps I am still in that dreaded honey-moon
phase, I think at least I've become more athletic at the sex: the love isn't
so much new and strange any more, but rather it's become comfortable and I
feel strangely at home in this new life.

But... as I wrote to a friend a wee bit ago, Thom Yorke is a snarky bastard.
  How the hell do you meet people?  I suppose part of it is that I've come
in as a 3rd year student to 3rd year classes, where everyone already has
groups and routines to which I am entirely foreign.  I'm rather shy, and so
I don't quite fancy going down to a pub and just waiting for someone to
approach me... there must be a better way.  Or is there?

So, my lovely twee kids... what say you?  How can an introvert integrate
into Glaswegian life?  Or is the highlight of my term going to continue to
be wandering the streets of the West End alone, people-watching as from
under glass?  I don't think I would mind that... but one can't help but feel
that there must be something more...

And I must say: last night I watched "Fans Only" and it definitely warmed
the cockles of my heart to see buildings and streets which before had been
strangers to my eyes, and now I realize that I LIVE HERE!   It is a
glorious, bubbly feeling.

cheers~

Ann

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris.
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

~Catullus