Sinister: Being Helpful 2005

marisa stroud charismarisa at xxx.ca
Thu Feb 10 20:58:40 GMT 2005

So, I wrote an email to you guys a few days ago in
order to try and cheer Ken up, and juuuuuuuuuuuuuust
when I was finished, I hit the delete key or my
touchpad did something or whatever it is that makes my
browser click back to the previous page, thus
COMPLETELY LOSING EVERYTHING I WROTE!! and since it
was the second time it had happened in two days, I
tossed my stupid laptop onto my bed (as gently as
possible under the circumstances) and went into a
ginormous huff.

I’m sure you’re all very gratified to know that.

Anyway, I was trying to do Helpful Things. It wasn’t
my New Year’s Resolution or anything, but since I
don’t tend to make New Year’s Resolutions (mostly
because I forget them a couple of weeks in, and also,
I can’t be arsed) Being Helpful is always a good thing
to try and do. So I wrote the email to try and Help
Ken Feel Like Someone’s Listening, and in the email I
will try to Help Lucy Give Her Mother Music. I make
mixes to spread the love of the music I enjoy, and the
more people copy those mixes (or songs from them) the
more likely it is that someone else will hear a
certain band and then really love them and help them
rise to the top of the land! Cause really, I base my
Do-I-Like-This-Music? determination around a) the
tune, b) the words, and c) would I be friends with
these people? Really, the last criterion is just icing
on the cake, but wouldn’t you like a band whose music
you enjoyed and whose members were (imaginary or not)
friends of yours to rule the world (in music form)?

almost sounds like content...

But I am not that cool. One time Stevie gave me a hug,
but I think it was because a) I was shaking like a
leaf, and b) he plays guitar to get the ladies, no?
Oh, it’s been far far too long since I last indulged
in a lazy Fans Only afternoon...

I am failing quite dismally at Helping Ann Find Cool
Friends, however. I’d point you to some of mine, Ann,
but then I remember, oh, I didn’t really have any. I
had a) a terrible flatmate that never washed (I swear,
she didn’t shower for six weeks. I counted) and who
eventually drove me into the arms of b) a sweet boy,
but who turned out not to be able to handle my ways
(this is a boy who threw a little tantrum about having
to go down with me to the DCW “cd release party” for
B&S at midnight on a school night(!!) *gasp!* last
October. “Can’t you go by yourself?” It’s in a scary
part of town that I’ve never been to, at midnight, at
a venue I’m not even sure I’ll be able to get into, in
fucking ned-ridden Glasgow. Cheers, darling) Anyway,
Miss Ann, perhaps as a result of your appeal, some
nice Sinistrine will email you and say, Come down to
the Winchester/a pub quiz/a picnic in a park, I’ll be
the tall one in the blue shirt (*ahem hem*...nice
Glasgow-based Sinistrines...organise and outing and
wear a blue shirt!) or else join some sort of club or
society at one of the unions (and as I know most of
the GUU types, I’d say affiliate yourself with the
QMU, love), just point out that you’re an
international and they’ll forgive you anything, and
anyway it’s not a team that you will have had to been
training to join, it’s just a little club. I know
these ideas are far, far easier to suggest than to do,
but I guess I’m looking back at my time there and
wishing I’d done these things.

anyway.

I am loving this winter in Ottawa, skating on the
Rideau Canal at midnight when the city workmen are
just surfacing the ice and it’s all perfect and glassy
and the sky is clear and you can see so so many
stars!! (a girl from Toronto is not used to seeing
stars at night in a city), but I can feel my feet
itching again for something new. I’m glad this degree
thing is over in August (two-year degree in ten
months...yeah, I guess you could say I’m under a bit
of stress) and extra glad to be welcoming a very
special Aussie to Canada next Friday night. Long dark
February nights under the covers are so much nicer
with someone to cuddle...

marisa xo