Sinister: Regional Fans Only

Heath Gray heath_v_gray at xxx.com
Fri Feb 18 00:01:53 GMT 2005

Hello Sinister folk. I am just out of the nursery and excited as hell about
it.

I am also excited that I was finally able to watch the "Fans Only" DVD. I
ordered the damned thing the second I became aware of its existence. The two
weeks that passed between the time I sent in my order and the time my
precious package arrived seemed to me like a year. I came home for lunch one
day and made my daily route to the mailbox. It arrived! I cancelled my
appointments set for the afternoon. The rest of the day would be a personal
holiday.

The disc was in the DVD machine before the tossed packaging hit the floor.
Seconds passed. Then a minute. And another. It was clear there was something
wrong. Then the error message.

"Check Regional Code"

I had never heard of regional codes and I had worked in a video rental shop
for two years. How could I have remained so ignorant? It didn't matter. They
existed anyway and I was not going to get to watch "Fans Only". I tried the
other two DVD machines in my house and learned that changing the regional
code is not an option. Had the manufacturers not thought that an American
might want to watch a foreign DVD in America? I was put off in anger for the
rest of the day (and the subsequent two).

I held on to this DVD for months. Occasionally, would pull the insert out
and look it over like it was a letter from an ex-lover. By now, all of my
friends were well aware of how I had been so stupid as to buy a DVD that I
had no way of watching. One day fortune smiled upon me. My good pal, Jake,
emailed me to tell me that he had discovered how to change the regional
settings on his IBook's DVD player. I thought that was great. It was great
that he lived five hours away and that I didn't own an IBook. It was nice of
him to let me know, nonetheless.

Three weeks later I am the proud owner of an IBook and "Fans Only" is great.
Hosannah!

Also, I am looking for an international pen pal. I want to write to someone
on real paper. If you are interested, email heath_v_gray at hotmail.com.

<3 Heath.