Sinister: x marks the spot

Bruno Gomes pdlngsp at xxx.pt
Mon Jan 10 12:40:08 GMT 2005

> From: Javi Sorribes <javiersorribes at xxx.com>
> And here I am, listening to the ronettes and wondering if any of my
> new-year-things-to-do is gonna get done by itself, so I have some free
> time to say hi to you all (you seem really nice people)...

yes, what about those new year's resolutions?
here's mine: stop buying books and cd's like a friggin' madman! (especially
the books: at this moment there must be close to 100 of them waiting to be
read... and considering the free time i'm having since my life changed a
couple of months ago, i reckon i will need 5 years to read them all)
and just one more thing about books: don't you find it a little odd that
there are (will be?) 7 harry potter books, just like the 7 narnia books?

> But they taught me at school that you have to resume the main points
> of your speech at the end, so... HI. I really just wanted to say that

don't believe everything they tell you!
:-)

> PS... Bruno I loved your best-of idea!!!

thanks for the support! too bad so few other sini boys & gals bothered to
participate in that poll...

in other news, did you know about the following?

The Origin of "Xmas" - http://www.cresourcei.org/cyxmas.html

The abbreviation of "Xmas" for Christmas, long reviled by many conservative
and Low Church Christians, is not nearly as blasphemous as many contend.
Rather than a sacrilegious removal of "Christ" from Christmas and replacing
him with an unknown, as some claim, the "Xmas" abbreviation has a long
history in the church. In Greek, the language in which the New Testament was
first written, "chi" (c or C), which is almost identical to the Roman
alphabet "X," is the first letter of the word "Christ" (cristoV, or as it
would be written in older manuscripts, CRISTOS). In fact, the symbol of the
fish in the early church came from using the first letter of several titles
used for Jesus (Jesus Christ Son of God Savior) that when combined spelled
the Greek word for fish (icquV, ichthus).

In the early days of printing when typesetting was done by hand and was very
tedious and expensive, abbreviations were common. The church began to use
the abbreviation C for the word "Christ" in religious publications. From
there, the abbreviation moved into general use in newspapers and other
publications, and "Xmas" became an accepted way of printing "Christmas."