Sinister: Licking stamps is not much fun

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Mon Jan 17 14:30:03 GMT 2005

Dear all of you lovely people,

I am afraid I have been out of the loop for a while. During Christmas I was
at my parents, and they have moved to a big house in the country and put the
computer in a room in a cold dark turret full of ghosts, so I was too scared
to use it. Since I've been back in civilisation I have been distracted by
other mailing lists. Of course there's always Milko
(http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/milko/), but recently I have discovered a
great mailing list where you can write humourous articles about buses. Here
it is: http://www.cardiffbus.com/company/feedback_ops.htm . If you write a
funny story about how your bus caught on fire one morning, or how you had to
wait for one for ONE AND A HALF HOURS you will often recieve an interesting
reply. Sometimes they pretend to be angry with you for "wasting their time".
Ha ha! Crazy guys!

Two Lucys teased us all:

>Goodies being sold include Stuart Murdoch's hat (think "Dog on Wheels"
>video - also check out the photo!!), Lord Anthony demo sessions from
>1998 (would ye credit it?! as Paw Broon might say), rare posters and
>other cd and vinyl promos and stuff!! Many include a lovely signed
>certificate from the lovelier still Mr Murdoch.

Gosh! I had a look, and Lord Anthony was at 78 quid! You people are nuts!
Hmm, I might buy I Love My Car though. Heavens!

Lucy A also said

>The Bay City Rollers and Goth Favourites The Jesus And Mary Chain.

And I thought how great it would be if someone made a TV series called
"Jesus and Mary Chan", about the adventures of a Mexican bandito and his
Chinese detective wife.

A funny thing happened the other day. I consider myself a quite honest
person, although I occasionally embellish stories for added effect, but I
rarely lie outright. At the bus stop I ran into someone I knew. Someone who
is not so bad, but is a bit annoying. He has a constant slathering grin, and
he gurgles and his arms leap about like he has rabies. Apart from this he is
quite normal. We were chatting on the bus about what we got for Christmas (I
got some pannier bags for my bike, Clarence) and I said how I had thought of
getting an iPod, but figured I would probably regret it.

He said, "You know, you have to be careful with iPods, too, because people
see the white earphones and mug you for it."
And I said, "Yes, I know, in fact it happened to my sister, what a terrible
thing that was."

And he looked quite shocked. Almost sad. But I had to go and buy a sandwich
so I scarpered.

Thing is, it was a complete lie. My sister doesn't even have an iPod. And,
while I stood in the queue, waiting for someone to butter my sandwich, I
couldn't work out why I'd just totally made something up for no reason and
decided I must just be a bad person. In fact, I don't know anyone who has an
iPod, and certainly not my sister or me. If I want to hear a tune when I'm
walking down the street, I just whistle.

What else was I going to say? Hmm. I heard someone from Belle and Sebastian
on the radio the other night, Mick I think, saying about how they're getting
on well with their new songs, but I can't remember anything else he said.
That wasn't very interesting was it? Next time I promise to DO BETTER.

Robin x