Sinister: crayons for all

mummy i've grazed my knee clj106york at xxx.uk
Tue Jul 5 12:42:08 BST 2005

Hello,
Hello hello,

It's been almost a squillion years since I last
posted, but I still lurk and still love. I have been
tempted to post for a while but the sight of some old
style reporting back on the wedding of former York
Sinister Massive member Archel prompted me to get out
my pencil and scribble to you all.

CONGRATULATIONS

Well done Archel - it's lovely lovely news. All a bit
scary you know. I'm at the age now where people are
starting to get married and have babies, but i just
want to listen to the Field Mice and bury my head.

STRUAN & THE CLOTHES

The last time I nearly posted was after the wonderful
wonderful mails by David and Honey about ME and the
snazzy auction that Ciara was holding on ebay. I bid
over £100 for Struans TOTP clothes (as imortalised by
a number of sinisterines in a painting competition
many years ago. Which Ken Chu won by cheating if my
memory serves me right!) but didn't win.

I won't be all maudling and wallow in pathos, but I
was quite poorly a few years ago and have been for a
long while since and it was so lovely to hear from
others, and about the wonderful research that's going
on into ME. It's a very worthwhile caus to support. It
causes so much anguish for so many people - not just
through the illness itself, but the constant
difficulty of actually explaining it to people and
getting that 'you're making it up' response. I hope
they do find a cure.

REPORTING BACK!!!

There was a request for some more reporting back and I
was in Edinburgh on Saturday to protest, so can report
back from that.
It was a fun day - I think it broke the world record
for most Guardian reading Lib Dem voters in one place.
The press would describe the whole affair as having 'a
family atmosphere' - a synonym for quiet and
unassuming. It was a great thing to be involved in and
fantastic to see such a diverse range of people (apart
from those silly anarchists who just ruin everything)
but now and again I was disappointed with the lack of
passion, and the march did occassionally turn into a
stroll round Edinburgh. Having said that, Geldof is
great and anything he is involved with gets the thumbs
up from me.
I'm thinking about going up to Gleneagles tomorrow as
I have the day off work, but maybe not the money.

I've just read back and that was some proper rubbish
reporting back. I'm out of practice. I'll take some
lessons before the Barbican gig!

NOSTALGIA

I was feeling whimsical about sinister the other day.
I thought about all the lovely people I had met and
beautiful things I had seen and done. I can pinpoint
the day my life began - it was the summer of 1997 and
I was watering my neighbours garden at the rate of £1
a day, which I thought was GRATE. The chore was eased
by the tones of Whiley and Lamacq on the evening
session. They introduced a song by boy/girl (as I then
thought) duo Belle And Sebastian called Lazy Line
Painter Jane which stopped me in my tracks. The most
amazing thing I had ever heard. The next day it was
off to Rex Records in Ipswich to pick up the 7" and
I've never looked back.

As I was musing in bashful whimsy, I really felt I
could trace back every facet of my modern life,
everything I've done and become, to this day as a
hapless 15 year old in a Suffolk village. It was quite
a daunting thought but so very very lovely.

SHAMELESS POP POP POP

It's not shameless at all, it's with much shame.
Sinister helped me into a band - May 5th 2001, my 19th
birthday, the first York Sinister picnic and the day I
joined Ladybird Ladybird.
Well, four years on I have a job, but yearn for fey
pop superstardom. My current band (including two ex
sinisterines) has just got a web site up with some
tunes to look at. I would be most enamoured if any of
you felt the urge to have a stop, look and listen.
And if Geoff Travis is on this list too...

http://www.talesofjenny.co.uk is the place to look

RIBENA

There is no mention of it any more.

I will now return to lurkerdom after my very
uninspiring attempt at re-emerging. I hope all of you
are very well. Keep posting and being nice people.
See you all in London in September.

Chris Jones x