Sinister: sad and sweaty

ruth allan ruthjane.allan at xxx.net
Tue Jul 12 21:50:04 BST 2005

I'm checking my mails in a way that I havent done for ages, eyes peeled
for news from sinister. Since honey posted this sad news about a
missing member, I've suddenly felt connected to these terrible events
in london and I guess what hits home is that it could have been any one
of us UK listees. We've all travelled the tube, and all been on the bus
and as so many have said, it feels like an attack on us all, and thats
incredibly difficult to deal with, unbearably so, I imagine, for those
close to Liz and our sympathies go out to you all who are directly
affected.

I've been lurking as usual, waiting for someone to say something to
make sense of all this I suppose, and thats probably why I've been
checking my mails so keenly, and waiting up for Newsnight,  but no one
can fix it can they? I guess life goes on, so today, after faffing
about at home for a while, I went out to a meeting in a hotel and saw
Terry Christian having one (a meeting that is) at the next table. This
made me smile. The high point of the entire day (which was otherwise
filled with time wasting antics, such as: talking to the pregnant girl
at work about all her relatives names, ever, in an attempt to deduce
which might make the most suitable third name, and emailing my male
boss about his preferred beauty products. This line of conversation was
quite fruitful actually, as it turns out he buys all his cosmetics from
QVC. What are the chances of that then?! Isn't QVC completely frowned
upon as the epitomy of uncool? Seems not, according to him, QVC is
where folks too busy to shop shop. You do, in fact learn a great deal
from wasting time it seems). Anyhow, my favourite moment of the day was
listening to Dirty Dream Number two on my way back to work as I
remembered Terry on the Word back in the early 90s... for those too
young to remember and I hope thats most of you, Terry was this terrible
mancunian host on a  teen show in the UK called 'The Word'. It was
abysmal, but launched the careers of some semi famous music related
folks like... Jo Whiley (she was the music booker I believe) and Mark
Lamarr, a well known stand up comedian and radio presenter. Terry's
great skill was being completely unaffected by all the nonsense that
went on around him, like L7 a rrriot grrrl act showing their fannies,
or mark lamarr eating toenails... ah the joys. anyhow. These ramblings
surely are too irreverent for such a sad hot  night in the UK, so I'll
leave this here, but I guess I just wanted to say hey sinister, hope
your okay.
ruthx