Sinister: 10 Roddington's Plaice

Sarah J Clarke sarah.j.clarke at xxx.uk
Mon Jul 25 13:24:36 BST 2005

Hello Sinister,

gosh it's been a while, hasn't it! I meant to write to you last
Thursday, but Stefano wrote:

> apparently we are facing a second day of havoc in London,
> although the extent of the fact is nothing near what happened
> only a couple of week ago, I just work down the road from
> Warren street, one of the "isolated" tube stations. get in
> toch if you been involved and need any help. hope you are all
> well and safe.

I am well and safe, but the abovementioned meant that after going for
sustenance in the form of batteredsossidgechipsandbeans in the local
chippy that I couldn't get back into my office which had been cordoned
off by police tape saying DO NOT CROSS, helicopters whirring above heads
and the local TRAMP being interviewed by A.N Media Man - I guess at
least by BBC News 24. I rang my boss in a bit of a panic, only to find
him in a local pub, had a quick half, and then went home.

This being the Thursday, I hadn't been to Liz's funeral yet, that was on
Friday. I immediately thought: gosh; that's near UCLH sorta, I hope Liz
is... ack.

But on Friday a lot of people said goodbye, and we listened to Belle &
Sebastian, and ate some pork pies afterwards. It was a bit like a
picnic, but an extremely bittersweet one and with less wine until the
decamping London party fell into the boozer - and then personally I was
drinking Discovery, but what can you do.

You may wonder why I'm posting here, and in fact WHO THE HECK AM I -
well, I'm your worst nightmare. I'm an old school Sinisterine who
RETURNED with my special knowledge of which button to press behind the
painting to wizz you down the superslide straight to the swimming pool
filled with chocolate and Hunky Lifeguards TM with triangular faces and
ginger hair. What? I don't mean you, Stuart, would I? Gosh no. Anyway,
the reason I'm posting here is because it feels right to say something
about Liz, as this is where we "met", and a Sinister Pickernick is where
we "MET", so there. There was a moment at the funeral where Bell End
Sebastian was played, and I, a mere robot, started to cry and had a
quick look round for all the people that met in this way to see if
lightbulbs were pinging off and on over peoples heads.

They weren't, because that would have been taking Magical Realism too
far.

I am useless at this stuff, and Honey has already put things a squillion
times better than I have, so I'll just say that I still laugh at our old
args. abt Robert Browning**, and laugh, shamefaced that our last
conversation in the pub was about Dr Who novels and Star Wars novels,
I'll miss trips to the chicken shop and someone always knowing about
cake/fishing/history/geography - in fact, Liz knew it all. She's
incredibly special**, and my heart breaks for her family and partner,
and that the UCL pie club is lacking a champion member.

I saw a lot of Sinisterites over the weekend. And it was good. Of
particular note I must recommend a game called Downfall, that Trousers
and Hoppo were champions at.

CHESS OF THE FUTUR!

Bye for now,
Sarah

*I am still right by the way he is rubbidge
**not in THAT sense