Sinister: Re: Amy

JAMES GILMER patchworkz7 at xxx.com
Sun Nov 13 08:26:43 GMT 2005

Hi,

I feel a bit odd writing this, as it's been several years since I was one
the sinister list. I peek in a bit every once and a while, and I read
Danny's post on the web archives and it was like getting punched in the gut.
I'm afraid I didn't know Amy that well, but she was one of the Michigan
Sinister people and one day back at the beginning of November I met Amy and
her brother at a Quasi/Stereolab show in Detroit and had a fantastic time
chatting with the two of them.

They followed me to a diner on the way back to my home between Detroit and
Grand Rapids and we stayed out a bit and had some food and laughed and had a
generally great time. She later posted about it and said nice things about
me. She was a charming young lady and her, her brother, and I had a great
time laughing at each other and chatting for a time.

We kept in touch with a few emails here and there and she always wanted to
make it to one of the Great Lakes picnics we had. Then life got in the way
and I left the list and lost track of her and here it is years later and
Elise asks me if I've read the list lately and did I know an Amy.

I can't even begin to imagine what Danny and her family are feeling now and
I wouldn't begin to think that any words I had might make things easier on
anyone, but Danny mentioned that he hadn't thought many people had met her
and I just wanted to say that I had the pleasure and it was a lovely time
and she was a lovely young lady with intelligence and energy and it's a
poorer world without her.

I'm glancing at other windows as I write this. One has Danny's post and the
other has a post from Amy from the 4th of November, 2001 and she mentioned
the concert and the diner and myself in passing and it makes me smile to
think of it and to see her writing where she calls me Mr. Punk Rawk. I've
been thinking of that concert and all the laughs I had with her brother and
her all day, and I just wanted to say something, to tip my hat to the memory
of a wonderful person.

I wish I had more to say. I wish I had known her better so I could have
something to say. I just wanted to say that once upon a time I had the
pleasure of meeting  two great people at a concert thanks to the sinister
list and years later it breaks my heart to think that one of those lovely
people have passed on.

Like Danny I don't believe in any type of god, so I don't have any prayers
for her, but I have memories and my thoughts are with Danny and Amy's
family.

Take care, Danny.

To all the old sinster kids, cheers, and bless the lot of you.

Jim.