Sinister: iTunes ... bollocks

Lawrence Mikkelsen lawrencemikkelsen at xxx.com
Sat Nov 19 17:34:50 GMT 2005

B&S said ...

> We are fairly sure it's going to be available in all the International iTunes shops from
> the above date, BUT it's not absolutely certain, and it's kind of outwith our control, so
> no promises in that department. Bear with us though, because it will happen, and it's
> worth it, as anyone who was at the show could testify.

... it's worth mentioning, for the record, that even if the
download-only "Sinister live" thing is available at various
internation iTunes music stores, there are still a hell of a lot of
countries whicu don't actually have an iTunes music store. Like, for
example, New Zealand. (And, OK, I'nly thinking of myself here, but I'm
sure the indie kids in Iceland are probably equally pissed ...)

I've been stung before by this sort of thing, from other bands I love
a lot less than B&S. But now I'm kinda miffed and annoyed. And it's
not like I can even give someone else the money and they can download
the songs for me, because iTunes wraps Digital Rights Management
software around the files, to lock them to the specific computer they
were bought from.

I guess the other, more fundamental issue is, even when the
opportunity presents itself, I really hate paying for digial music.
There's something so nice about the physical oblect of a record or a
CD, and scrolling to an MP3 in iTunes has none of those exciting
tactile thrills. You know the excitement of going to the record store,
and then tearingopen the shrinkwrap on the bus home, poring over the
booklet, reading the lyrics and the credits? It's all gone ...

OK, so this is basically a big whinge, and I'm sorry. But I feel
annoued that, as someone whose been a massive fan of B&S for something
like nine years, my country of choice now prevents me from even buying
the bands' new album. It's bad enough knowing they'll never ever play
a shpw here, but I'd always assumed I'd at least be able to buy every
one of their albums.

In positive news, Vanessa and I celebrated our fourth wedding
anniversary a couple of days ago. I can't remember if I ever posted
this to the list, but when I was sendoing out invites, I took a punt
and sent one, along with a wee note, to Stuart Murdoch. About 10 days
larer I got a lovely hanfwritten note back, saying he couldn't make
it, but wishing us well for the day. That gesture meant so much to me,
and the letter still sits neatly tucked in the sleeve of my "The Boy
With The Arab Strap" LP.

Anyway, hope all's well in sisist*r-land

Lawrence